Chapter 5

Frisk opened the message immediately, it was from Alphys.

Alphythedino: I've picked up some strange activity near the entrance to the ruins. Would you like me to send someone to check it out?

Frisk just stared at the message, her hands poised over the keyboard. She started to type up her reply with uneasy and shaky hands.

Friskthefroo: I can go with Sans and check it out, mom can come along too. We should be fine. Thank you Alphys.

Alphythedino: No problem Frisk.

Frisk stared at the screen for awhile, re-reading the original message over and over again. Each time she read it she grew more scared, her eyes filled with tears.

"What am I gonna do if its her?" She muttered to herself, curled in a ball on her chair, her fists clenched tightly. She sobbed uncontrollably. Her face became a system of tear streaks, each one making a new trail. "S-Sans?" She called out, he was the only one she could talk to.

"You called k-" he paused for a moment, taking in her state before picking her up and wrapping her into a huge hug. "Hey what's wrong...?" He sat on her bed, cradling her and stroking her hair softly.

"Ch-Chara might be back Sans..." she sobbed more, burying her face in his ribs.

"Oh now come on kid you don-" she cut him off.

"I DO KNOW! I KNOW SANS!"

"Okay, okay. It's gonna be alright Frisk, I'm here. I'll always be here for you." He started to tear up as well, he hated seeing her like this. She snuggled closer, still crying heavily.

"I can't watch you die again Sans....." she muttered. He was silent for a long time, still stroking her hair and holding her tightly.

"I won't die Frisk. I can take care of myself." His grin widened despite the tears running down his face.

"But what if you do? I can't lose you Sans." He looked down at her and stared into her eyes, his emotions getting the better of him. She sat up, still on his lap, as she did this he leaned toward her til her nose was touching his (or his nose hole for that matter.)

"I'm right here..." he muttered quietly, still staring into her eyes. She placed a hand on his face, never looking away. He pushed his teeth to her mouth, the best they could do for a kiss. Her eyes fluttered shut as she kissed his teeth with a small smile. She pulled away suddenly though, and looked to the side, her face a deep red. "W-What's wrong?" He looked concerned, not knowing if he'd hurt her or something.

"Will you come with me to the site? I need some protection.."

"Of course Frisk, but we need some relaxation first." With that they laid down on Frisk's bed and cuddled, their limbs tangled in a strange way. They were comfortable and even a tiny bit happy. Every once in awhile Sans would quietly tell a joke, receiving a small giggle from Frisk. They laid like this for hours, just chatting. It was like some sort of weird dream for Sans. He'd never felt this happy. He covered her with his jacket once she drifted off to sleep. Hastily, he wrote a note telling her where he was going and not to come after him and he left the house.

Sans treaded through the snow, he wasn't cold, but he was DETERMINED. It was rare for a monster to feel DETERMINATION as a human could, but Sans did. He walked past all of Papyrus's old puzzles, thinking about his brother. Sans hoped that if he died tonight Pap would continue to take care of Frisk. He sighed, puffing up a wisp of smoke from the cold. He finally got to the conveniently shaped lamp and there he waited. A couple minutes passed, Sans breathed heavily due to his tiresome journey. He didn't feel like using magic this time, unless he had to fight.

After another minute or so he continued walking, and he did so until her reached Toriel's basement. He texted her then to tell her that he was passing through the ruins. She did not reply, probably because it was late. He walked quietly through the house and out the door making his way to the first trap. He disarmed it using the lever on his side and continued. He passed the four rooms that were pretty much exactly the same and kept walking until he was at the beginning of the ruins, with it's grand staircase, the pile of leaves, and Frisk's save file, which he wasn't aware of. This whole time his DETERMINATION did not ebb. It grew stronger. Sans's eye lit up as he walked to Chara's grave.

When he got there, he saw someone who he did not expect to see. It was Flowey.

"What are you doing here!?" The flower demanded.

"I just came to check...something." His eye went out, he no longer felt DETERMINED.

"Well did you find what you wanted? If not, then leave. I don't want you here." Flowey seemed to move closer to the grave, his eyes darting to it every once in awhile.

"Here to grieve then?" Sans asked. He received only a nod and decided to go home. "Sorry to bother you."

He didn't feel like walking all the way back, so as soon as he was out of the room he teleported home. Once there he sighed, whether it was from relief, frustration, or both he did not know. He walked quietly upstairs and into Frisk's room. He grabbed the note off the desk and sent it to his his room. As soon as it was gone he went over and sat on her bed, softly stroking her hair while she slept.

"I love you Frisk..." he muttered before laying down next to her and wrapping his arms around her. It took him awhile to fall asleep, so he laid there with his chin on her head and wished that this timeline would be safe from Chara. That it could be like this forever. He doubted this would happen but he wished it anyway. Soon he fell asleep, holding her in his arms.

Okay so hi! This was a pretty feelsish chapter, if you agree with me, just wait. Anyway tell me what you think! I love you guys!
~ Your friendly neighborhood Gennacide