Chapter 25: Negotiations

"So what exactly is going on in there?" I bounced my head back against the wall as I waited with Titus outside the Midfield alpha's office. We had been standing outside for nearly half an hour.

He shrugged. "Negotiations."

"For what?"

"Mating between packs is a pretty complicated process. You're taking a member so compensation is expected."

"Storm was from another pack. How'd that work out?"

"It was to strengthen ties between us. Our alliance is very strong with her birth pack now. It wasn't too complicated that time. They liked each other from the beginning, and Storm's father was sure Darius was going to be the next alpha. He didn't need much more of a motive to agree to the pairing."

"Hmmm... he should have taken more time getting to know Darius. It would have saved his daughter the trouble of being stuck with him." I stared at the ceiling.

Titus chuckled. "You may not be a fan of Darius, but Storm does love him."

"Whatever," I breathed. "River doesn't know this guy?"

"Exactly why they're in there." Titus slid to the floor, and I followed.

I leaned against him. "So your dad making some lucrative arrangement?"

He rolled his eyes. "Not exactly, but it's a pretty big deal to be the birth pack to a dominant's mate. My dad's been trying to build a relationship with Midfield. River is the first step."

"These guys are pretty powerful, then?"

"Well yeah," he motioned around the hall. "They're self-made. They don't rely on the human government, so they don't have to follow any regulations. They also one of the largest packs in the world, and as you can tell by this fancy house, one of the wealthiest. Everyone's trying to get on their good side."

I peered up at him. "So is your dad scared of them?"

Titus jerked back with a repulse expression. "They're domestic. They may have money, but Northern Ridge werewolves are true fighters." He folded his arms with a scowl on his face. "We could take them."

Shaking my head, I patted his arm. "Whatever you say, sweetheart."

He peered at me from the corner of his eye. "That sounded a lot like something your mom would say."

I scoffed. "Excuse me."

"Just saying." He shifted his weight around.

"Asshole," I muttered under my breath.

The door opened, and we both quickly stood. Xavier exited first with a smile on his face.

"Things went well?" asked Titus.

"Yes, they did."

River appeared, and the alpha squeezed his shoulder.

"Tonight David is celebrating finding a mate, and Troy will announce his engagement to River. If things go well, they'll have my blessing to mate."

River swallowed hard.

"When he's ready," Troy stated, smiling down at the boy.

I pulled my packmate into a hug. "I'm so happy for you," I whispered in his ear. Leaning back, I looked Troy up and down. "So tall." I winked at River and moved to Titus's side.

The blond's face heated up, and he bowed his head.

My mate narrowed his eyes. He scanned the other dominant and then himself. "I'm tall."