Chapter 30: Enemy Territory

His breathing sounded worse today. Even with the oxygen mask, Titus still seemed like he was gasping for air. I brushed his hair off his forehead. So many tubes and machines had been packed into our room. It didn't seem nearly as big anymore.

Ringing out a wash rag, I dabbed at his face to clear away the sweat. He was so pale.

Hearing footsteps, I glanced at the door.

Darius gave me a weak smile. "How's he holding up?"

I shrugged. "Same, worse. He won't even open his eyes anymore. He just so tired."

Nodding, he sat down on the overhang above the bed.

I adjusted the blankets and kissed my mate's forehead. "What did Oscar say?"

My brother-in-law stared off across the room.

"Tell me, Darius," I said firmly. "Don't keep me in the dark just because of my rank. He's my mate."

"He said no." Bowing his head, he let out a shaky breath. "Jet demanded you as compensation, so Titus dying is a good thing. If we don't want a war, then we're to hand you over."

I rubbed my forehead. "Okay."

"Okay?" His brows pinched together. "What do you mean okay?"

Sucking in my lips, I peered down at my husband. "I've thought about every possibility. If I want to save him, I know what I have to do."

"We're not going to give you to Jet," his voice started to grown louder.

"Titus's healing enzyme is in me," I stated, meeting the next alpha's gaze. "Mating with Jet would do the same thing. I could bring it back."

Darius grew still, thinking it over. "Mate with Jet?"

I nodded. "Then escape, and heal Titus myself."

"He's not just let you go. Jet's an asshole, but he's not stupid. He's not going to let you just come back with the one thing that can save my brother."

"I'm not planning on doing it alone."

We sat in silence for a moment, watching the rise and fall of Titus's chest.

"What if we can't get you out?" Darius asked.

"I'd rather give it a chance than sit here and watch him die."

"You'll be Jet's mate."

"I'm going to have a dead one if we just sit here talking about it!"

The black and red werewolf sat back, gripping his knees. "I can show you the way, but we tell no one. I'll handle everything here."

"Okay." I took a deep breath. "The rest will be up to me."

***

It was well into the night when I leaned down and kissed Titus's cheek. "I love you." I cupped his face. "Hold on until I make it back." I kissed him again. "I'll bring the cure, and everything will be fine. Okay? Don't worry."

Kissing him once more, I pulled the blankets further up his chest and stood. I could do this. I do it for him.

Sneaking outside, I spotted Darius standing by the forest edge.

"Let's go." He nodded toward the east.

I jogged after him until we were out of sight of the cave. Taking off my clothes, I shifted.

"Last chance to change your mind."

"No." I inhaled slowly. "I've decided. I'm going through with it."