Chapter 38: The End of a New Beginning

I stumbled down the stairs Christmas morning with Titus right behind me, stretching his arms overhead. My mother had holiday music playing in the kitchen as she put a breakfast casserole into the oven. Xavier and Rose were sitting at the table with my dad.

Titus and I went into the living room. Darius was curled up with Storm on the love seat. Presents were piled much higher this year under and around the tree. Xavier had given my mother an unlimited credit card. A gift from the pack for all the trouble he caused for not protecting Titus and me properly. It seemed to help earn her forgiveness.

My dad warned him it was a horrible idea. She had already bought a new bed for my room as well as one for the office. My mom was also talking about building onto the house, since next year there would be more of us.

I sat with Titus on the long couch. He yanked me over so I was practically on his lap.

"Stop it." I pushed his hands away.

"I'm making room for our parents to have somewhere to sit."

"You're being a pain." I settled in by his side, but at least, I wasn't on top of him.

Darius started to chuckle. I glared at him. He just gave me a smirk and hugged Storm back against him, kissing her cheek.

Our parents entered the room and filled up the extra places. Xavier took a spot in the new armchair my mother bought for the occasion to go with my father's.

"Alright," she announced as Demon jumped into her lap. "Now that everyone is awake."

Their eyes traveled over to me.

"What?"

Titus started to snicker. I smacked his arm, which only made him laugh harder. I wasn't the only one who just woke up.

"Quint, you can start passing out the presents."

"Wait." Storm stood and grabbed a gift labeled for Rose and Xavier. "I want you to open this one first." She handed it to her mother-in-law.

Xavier watched as his mate tore off the wrapping paper. A claw extended from her finger, and she sliced through the tape. I glanced at my own finger and tried to do it. Nothing happened, as usual. Rose opened the flaps and listed out two shirts.

"Baby one," she read. "Baby two." She screamed, causing the box to fall to the ground. "Two?"

Storm nodded, beaming.

Rose went to hug her. "Twins, you're having twins. I'm so excited. They're going to be adorable."

Darius sat up and picked up the box. "There's more." He tossed it over to his dad.

Linking arms with Storm, Rose waited nervously.

Xavier reached into the bottom. He shook his head with a smile before lifting out the remaining clothes. One said big brother and the other little brother. "Two boys."

We clapped and congratulated the couple.

Titus hit his brother's arm. "It'll be like us."

"Then you should be scared," stated Xavier.

"Very," I added, drawing more laughter from the group.

"Well," Darius stretched out, "Mom always told me she hoped I got a pup just like me. I might get two."

She shook her head. "I'll be there to help. Darius and Titus were the reason we didn't have anymore. My sanity wouldn't let me."

"Is that why Aden is an only child?" Darius said with a smirk.