Part 2/9

Rule #2: Pretend to have things in common with your mark to form a bond.

"Emma? Earth to Emma," Belle said.

Emma's head snapped up and she looked at Belle, who sat across from her desk.

"What?"

"I've been trying to get your attention for 5 minutes."

"Sorry."

"What's gotten into you? You've been distracted all day."

A blush crept into Emma's cheeks. "I met someone last night."

Belle's eyes widened, as a smile appeared on her lips. "You did? Who? Every guy there was over 50."

Emma shook her head. "Not every guy."

Belle thought for a moment. "Well, except for a few waiters, the only two I saw close to our age were the ones who got into the altercation over the drink being spilled on you, but I know you'd never-..." Belle watched a smile spread across Emma's face. "It's one of them?"

Emma nodded. "The one who tried to intervene."

Belle tilted her head to the side. "You mean the one who threw the punch?"

Emma bobbed her head. "Yes. He followed me to the bathroom to make sure I was okay and...I don't know. It's hard to explain, but there was just this instant spark between us."

Belle had never seen Emma like this before. She didn't trust easily and she hadn't dated anyone since her fiancé, Neal, had cheated on her the night before their wedding three years earlier. She subsequently found out he had been cheating on her for months. Emma felt like a fool. She couldn't even count all of the times she'd been hired to investigate a cheating significant other and yet she had missed all the signs. It made Emma question everything about herself, including her ability to do her job and trust her instincts. That day, Emma had unofficially sworn off men and closed her heart to love.

Belle reached across the desk and patted Emma's hand. "That's great, Emma."

She shrugged. "I gave him my card with my contact information."

"I'm glad you're finally putting yourself back out there."

"We'll see if anything comes of it. Ball's in his court."

Belle nodded and then looked down at the pad she had in her hand. "Now back to the reason I was trying desperately to get your attention. You have a 2 o'clock appointment. New client."

Emma picked up her pen and grabbed a legal pad. "What can you tell me about him or her?"

"It's a him. Not much really. His name is Killian Jones and he called this morning wanting-...

Emma's head shot up and she looked at Belle. "Did you say Killian Jones?"

"Yes. Why?"

"That's the guy I was just talking about. He's the one I met last night."

Belle smiled. "I guess he just couldn't wait to see you again."

Emma gnawed on her lower lip anxiously. "I didn't expect that he'd want to see me again professionally though. Maybe I read the situation wrong last night."

Belle shook her head. "Maybe it's both. Maybe he wants your professional services and your personal attention and this was his way of going about getting them."

Emma sighed. "But you know I make it a rule to never date clients, Belle."

"Rules were made to be broken."