Chapter 44 - Temporary Alliance

"We need to step in," Taverous said to King Melidarius, emphasizing his words. He pointed out across the battlefield. "The eyes of the Talurian people have turned from you. Their fight is against Balar. The same enemy that threatens to unleash certain death against your army once he finishes with them."

The two men, along with the rest of the Merkadian Army, watched as the Talurian fortress had come to life, struggle erupting within their own walls. But, now a sudden silence—an ominous lull.

"They regroup now, but he will destroy them," Taverous continued, "And once he has gathered energy from their deaths, he will have enough power to attack," He motioned to his three Tearanei companions, "And collectively, we still, will not have enough power to defend against it."

Melidarius remained silent, squinting at the eerie Talurian stronghold. General Vyker, along with the chieftains and the royal children, all stood waiting.

"Your command, Majesty?" Vyker asked.

Melidarius let out a long sigh, "Ready the troops."

Vyker clapped his hands together and yelled for his officers. The chieftains scramble to gather their forces. Taverous nodded his approval and herded in the Tearanei for counsel.

Prince Kaillum approached his father. "It is the right thing."

"I know, son. Another labor of leadership." Melidarius clasped his eldest son's shoulder. "One day my son...one day."

Kaillum smiled and playfully nudged him. "One day...far, far from now."

Dageros butted in. "What are we all talking about?"

Kaillum laughed, "Nothing to trouble you, my little brother."

Dageros flashed multiple copies of himself, all of which stood cross-armed glaring at Kaillum. "I may be young, but I am many."

The three laughed.

* * *

"Fall into formation!" Vyker yelled out over the lines of troops.

Shaymesh and Arclite were leading the two companies. Vyker had stayed with the King. Taverous, along with Lasal and Mathis, had taken position along a mostly-intact section of tall housing, gaining them a vantage point for any needed magical assistance.

Vyker raised his voice higher to address his forces. "We have a need to fight alongside the Talurians. A greater enemy is before us and, if the Talurians fall, so shall we." A wave of negative comments flowed through the ranks. They didn't comprehend. The Talurians were the enemy of the entire continent—the longtime evil among the tribes. "I don't expect you to understand this. I expect you to trust in your leadership and follow orders. We know what is needed." Vyker motioned to Shaymesh, who proceeded to relieve the General and take up the pre-battle rallying.

As the old Captain shouted barbaric war cries at the men, Vyker turned to find Kaillum standing a way off, splendid in his royal platemail.

Kaillum met Vyker's gaze and walked to him. "I'm taking command of one of the companies. You can choose."

Vyker started to form an argument, but Kaillum's eyes showed fierceness that the aging General had not seen. The boy Prince was becoming the man who would one day rule. "Very well. Take Shaymesh's forces. He will be honored to secede to you."

Kaillum nodded. "Alright."

A sudden fury of noise broke the silence of the battlefield. It came from inside the Talurian Keep. Taverous relayed a message to Arclite with some kind of unspoken communication the strange magic users had. The fighting had started again.