Chapter 45 - A Competition of Brothers

Balar crashed into Taverous, dropping him to the ground. He followed with a downward swipe of his staff. Taverous pulled his sword from its scabbard, barely deflecting the attack. The contact of the magical weapons exploded in a kaleidoscope of colors and rattled the courtyard.

Taverous' sword blazed with vigor previously unseen to the Merkadians. Balar's staff twisted in his hands, as he tried to overcome the sword's strength.

Taverous kicked out and caught Balar in the side, giving him the chance he needed to regain his feet. He whipped his hand around and hurled a bolt of energy at his brother. Balar swatted it away with ease. Taverous let go of his sword, holding it in the air with his mind, and, with both hands-free, unleashed a flurry of bolts. He took a step forward with each thrust, and, equally, Balar had to take a step back with each block.

Taverous moved his older brother closer and closer to the wall.

Balar recognized his situation and, upon reaching the wall, put up a stronger shield that encapsulated his body. He jumped and kicked off the wall, sending him flying into the air, high over the Keep's walls.

Taverous turned his gaze to watch him escape.

He waited a moment to follow and scanned the scene below. The Merkadians and Talurians were holding their own, but, at the current rate, the undead would be defeated at the same time the remaining troops of both armies were decimated.

He looked for the Staffwielders.

The common soldiers didn't have much of a chance against them. He spotted a group holding a circular formation twenty yards off. With the same attack he had just used against Balar, he rained down a volley of bolts upon them. They deflected a few but were soon overcome to a brutal end.

The troops who saw cheered.

He noticed the Druid also nodded his thanks before moving on to his next target. Taverous smiled. He liked that man. With a thought, he lifted into the air and flew after his brother.

* * *

Kaillum reeled his sword through the air, catching three undead across their throats. With a howl, he kicked their gurgling bodies to the ground. They had to be making some headway, but he dared not stop and look. A soldier was cut down in front of him, and now in his path stood one of the massive, six-armed creatures. It snarled at him and lowered his head to charge. Kaillum gripped his sword and shield, bracing for impact.

It never came.

A glowing spear flew through the air impaling the monster's head. It was thrown with so much strength, that the blow launched the creature to its side taking a few other undead to the ground. Arclite appeared a second behind, pulling his swords from his back, and finished his victims before they could recover.

Kaillum noticed the warriors sleek metal armor was covered head to toe in blood. He looked the vision of a necromancer's abomination. His visor was closed tight and his eyes glowed furiously beneath.

A roar came from behind them. One of the undead, with unique markings painted on his body, stood atop the far wall. He waved in the direction of the Merkadians campsite. They all ran toward him and, upon reaching the wall, started to scale the sheer rock face.

Kaillum sprinted after them, pulling every soldier he passed. His forces were growing tired, but they couldn't stop. The break in combat lulled them into a stupor, and he couldn't let them stay that way. Kaillum felt the presence of Thandril jogging behind him. He found comfort in his enemy for the moment.

"We need to end this," Thandril growled.

"Agreed."

"They are going to take the fight to you now."