Chapter 47 - A New Role

Shaymesh had done as ordered and carried the Prince far into the foothills.

His pace proved to be more than a match for the shadow. Fayeth and Dageros were already in the field when he arrived, both carrying their own emotional burdens. He scavenged some nearby equipment and put together a makeshift tent for Kaillum. Then, he told Fayeth to go around and intercept any Merkadian forces that were leaving the area and point them in their direction. She did as told, and soon, strung out groups of soldiers filtered into the campsite.

Dageros held his father's sword close to his chest. Once he found his brother's unconscious body, he laid it next to him and stayed at his side. Shaymesh returned to the tent and relieved Dageros, telling him to go get some sleep. The moon had been out for four hours now.

Between the blow to Kaillum's head and pure exhaustion from the battle, he didn't wake for two days. The morning he did, there was hell to pay for anyone who tried to communicate with him.

He heard of his father's death and had hidden away in his tent for another three days.

* * *

Light crept in through the seams of the tent. Kaillum was crouched in the corner, running his hand down the blade of his father. He looked over at his battle-soiled armor. Blood still splattered its crest. He was a soldier, not a leader. There was his proof.

"This is the third day, my Lord."

Shaymesh stood guard outside his tent, day and night.

"Does my Lord wish for some food?"

Every day he asked and every day Kaillum assaulted him with words of violence.

If he had taken father away, our King would still be here. It was Shaymesh's fault! No, that's not right. He did what his King wanted and succeeded in following his orders. This day would be different.

He cracked his neck and stood to his feet. "Yes, your Lord wishes for food."

"Right away," Shaymesh said, in a nonchalant way—as if he hadn't been abused for the last two days.

Kaillum reached for a mirror. He stared at his reflection. His features flickered and softened. He put on the face of his father.

How could you leave me right now?

He changed his face back. "Damn it!" He threw the mirror to the ground.

"Brother?"

"Fayeth?"

"Yes, brother, it's me."

Fayeth pulled back the door flap and ducked into the tent. "I've been very worried about you. I saw Shaymesh getting you food. That's good." She smiled. "I like that you are getting your hunger back."

Kaillum tried to form a smile.

"He knew it was not our time. He wanted us to continue on," Fayeth whispered.

Kaillum's half smile faded. "Get out."

"But, Kaillum—"

"No!" He shouted, rising to his feet. "It was not his time either! Get out!"

She jumped at the outburst and turned away so quickly that she fell over her own feet. Sobs started to grow and tears streaked her face.

Kaillum softened and rushed to her side. "I'm sorry."

"We miss him too you know!" She hissed at him.

"Hey! What's going on?" Dageros burst through the entranceway, followed by Shaymesh, holding a platter of dried meats and bread. "Don't yell at her!

Dag saw his sister crying. "Why can't you grow up?" He shoved Kaillum. "Do you think everything is about you? Are you afraid to rule? Are you afraid to not live up to our father? Don't worry. You won't!" He pushed past the druid and thrashed out through the tent door.

Fayeth glared at him and followed suit. Kaillum was once again alone with Shaymesh.

"They are in pain."

Kaillum kicked at the dirt. "They don't have to put aside their pain and lead a Kingdom!"

"It's true. They don't. But, if I may," Shaymesh said, "You're father didn't make his decision lightly. He was a man of Kingdom above all. If he knew that you couldn't take the emotional burden of the aftermath of his choice, then he would not have made it." He set the plate next to Kaillum. "If he thought that you were not the right choice to lead, he would have pushed past his feelings and sacrificed you for his survival. He always put his people before himself. He knew you could do this. And, he knew you could do this, right now."

Kaillum sat quietly, taking in the man's words. After a while, he reached for the food and pulled a chunk of bread from the loaf. "Maybe..."

"Right now, outside that door, there is a wounded, demoralized, and leaderless army awaiting some word of hope—some showing of restore among their people."

Kaillum nodded. "Yes." He straightened his posture. "You are right. My father would want it."

Shaymesh grabbed the young man's shoulder. "I'll be right there with you."

Kaillum put his food down, attached his father's sheath to his side, and moved to exit his tent. The sun was still low, the air was brisk, and the men's fires smoked in their pits. The moment he appeared, all sound stopped. Every face looked to him.

"I will make this quick," Kaillum started, "You deserve a strong leader. You deserve a man who does not shy away from problems—who does not put his well being before yours. I struggled to learn that lesson. I will not slip again. We will heal these wounds, which we have so grievously been had. I swear on my father's throne, I will be a King of his standard—a King of his likeness. Today, we rest. Tomorrow, we prepare. And, the next, we go home. This war is over.

"There has been no victor but darkness. What is left of the tribes of Kilgar, Targa, and Chargon have scurried to their lands. We will do the same, but not with our tails between our legs—we march with an air of pride. We are a people of might. We are a people of honor. We will rebuild, and, in time, these wounds will turn to scars, to remind us of what we will have overcome."

Dageros and Fayeth moved from the crowd and took their places at his side. He smiled to both and took their hands.

"I will also need a champion—a warrior leader. We mourn the death of General Vyker. He was a great leader and an irreplaceable confidant to my father. But, we must also move on." Kaillum motioned for Shaymesh. The druid took his place in front of him and knelt down on one knee. "Shaymesh, you have proven yourself time and time again, to my father, and to myself. With my utmost confidence, I name you General of Merkadia. You may rise."

Shaymesh stood to his feet, and a chorus of cheers spread through the crowd. Dageros and Fayeth congratulated their friend.

"Thank you. Thank you," Shaymesh hushed the crowd. "I humbly accept this great honor, but the real ascension today is not for me. We must look to Kaillum, eldest son of Melidarius—heir to the throne. Our new King!" Shaymesh shouted the last part and bowed low to the ground.

Like a ripple through the crowd, one by one bowed before Kaillum.

"All hail, King Kaillum," Dageros started to chant.

Soon the hillside echoed with those words, spoken by the tongues of every Merkadian. Kaillum looked over his people—his people. This was his father's last, and greatest, gift.

If you can't wait for the next installment, grab the complete edition on amazon now! http://www.amazon.com/Fate-Empire-Talurian-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B019H2KROK