twenty-five

Chapter Twenty-Five
Grayson
Time hop-December 23rd.

Bailey and I have been "together" for four and a half months. We're walking down the streets of New York together right now because we decided to come to New York Christmas for her family. Then, go to Jersey for New Years.

I take her hand, tugging her closer. "Are you cold?"

She nods.

"Let's go get some hot chocolate."

She nods again, shivering. I walk behind her, rubbing her arms. We walk into a small cafe in Time Square.

"Two hot chocolates." I order.

The old woman nods and turns around.

I take my gloves off and rub my hands together. I spot Bai on the phone. She's not too far so I listen to her.

"No, I do not want to see you. Because I left to get away from you. No! Don't you dare-mom! Don't! Mo-mo-Mom!" She groans and hangs up, glancing at me.

I stare at her intently, trying to understand what's going on. Bailey walks over to me, freezing a foot in front of me.

"I'll be outside. I have to...talk to some people."

"What? No, I want to be by your side at all times."

"Gray-"

"It's not an argument. I'm by your side at all times."

"I don't want you meeting this peo-"

"Your mom?"

"She's one person."

"I'm meeting your family."

Bailey sighs. "I wish you didn't have to, but okay."

We get our drinks, I pay, and we go outside where a car is waiting. The car parks and an older woman who looks like Bailey, an older man, and Blake climbs out of the car. I remember Blake.

"Hey Blake."

"Hey Grayson!"

"Bailey!" The woman smiles.

"Mom." She grumbles. They hug, but Bailey doesn't look too happy.

"Bai Bai!" The older man smiles.

"Hi James." They hug.

"Hey little sis." Blake hugs Bailey.

"Hey Blake."

"Mom, James, this is my boyfriend, Grayson."

"You're so handsome, why're you friends with Bailey?" The mom laughs.

I look at her in disbelief. "You're kidding, right? Your daughter is beautiful."

"Totally." She laughs. "I'm Diana."

"Don't mind my wife, I'm James."

"It's good to meet you all." I shake hands with the both of them.

"You too." They both reply.

"Would you guys like-"

"To go? That'd be great. Thanks for stopping by." Bailey says. "Bye now."

"Bailey," Her mom growls. "what did I teach you about cutting people off?"

"Don't even get me started. You can't 'teach me' anything anymore because I'm older and I am not afraid you."

Diana reaches for Bailey's hand, but Bailey shoves it away. "Bailey." She growls.

"It's time for you to leave." Bai says. "Now."

Her mom looks at James, who nods.

Bailey folds her arms over her chest and they all leave. When they're turning the corner, Bailey sighs, dropping her stance. She begins to shake.

"Bailey-"

"Let's just go back to the hotel." She throws her hot chocolate away, walking down the sidewalk.

I frown, following.