Death Spiral

Melissa put the STS on Elizabeth Rasper's coffee table, set it recording and then cleared her throat as an indication that the official interview had begun. "MT72, Ohio District 45, Educational Services Division," she was talking a touch louder than her normal speaking voice, "interviewing Elizabeth Rasper, OH-B07F-62138, Mother of Cameron Rasper, IL-B30F-563213."

Melissa looked at the older woman across from her and thought of her aunt. There was a similarity around the eyes, and it made Melissa feel a little sorry for Elizabeth Rasper. The woman was clearly nervous about the interview. "Mrs. Rasper you lived for many years in Chicago is that true?"

"Most of my adult life, yes." She said.

"A little over two years ago you moved back to Akron, is that right?"

"Yes."

"What led you to make that decision?"

"You're joking right? There were bodies piling up in the streets. Between the hunger and the violence we felt we had no choice but to leave."

"In Chicago your daughter Cameron attended a Catholic school?"

"St. Anne's, yes."

"But after the move you decided to homeschool her, correct?"

"Yes." Elizabeth said.

"Why did you make that decision Mrs. Rasper?"

Elizabeth thought for a second. "St. Anne's was a good situation for us, it was like the kind of school I went to when I was Cami's age. It was a day school, so she stayed at home and we could see her every night. That's important to me. When we moved out here we couldn't find a school like that so I started homeschooling her."

"Which schools did you consider Mrs. Rasper?"

"Most of the private schools were beyond our means, but I did look at some work schools in the area. They were farm schools which I thought might appeal to Cami, but the contracts had some clauses that I didn't like, so that left homeschooling. It seemed like the best option."

"You didn't consider sending her to one of the Christian Nationalist schools?" Melissa asked. "They're free."

"Oh I know, and I would absolutely consider it, I would, but I like having Cami at home. Back in Chicago she saw some pretty horrible things, things a girl her age shouldn't have had to see, and it left her traumatized. She's been through a lot and I thought it was important to keep her close and create as normal an environment as possible. I couldn't send her away to school, let alone sign away all rights to see her."

"Many parents sign those contracts Mrs. Rasper. Many good people who love their children."

"I know, I really do. I don't blame somebody for sending their kids to a CNP school or a work school. If it's between signing away your rights as a parent or seeing your child starve to death, of course it's better that they live. I have a lot of friends that did that and I don't blame them one bit, but my situation is different. I'm employed, I can take care of my daughter."

"Please state for the record where you are employed."

"Karsh Materials Incorporated, glass and plastics division." Elizabeth said.

"And this is a full time job?"

"Sixty hours a week."

"And your pay?" Melissa asked.

"I am paid in limited transferable credits which can be redeemed at certain food stores and with the housing authority. Our company, I'm sure you know, has only two clients, the Federal Procurement Agency and the Christian Nationalist Party."