Chapter 1: Conflicted Feelings

One month.

It has been exactly one month since (Y/N) had fallen down into the Underground.

But she did not travel far. After she met the skeleton brothers, Papyrus had successfully captured the human, much to everyone's surprise. After failing to capture Frisk (and instead befriending them), the tall, boisterous skeleton didn't have any more plans to capture any humans. But, to keep up his reputation and to make Undyne proud, he decided that he would capture the next human that fell. However, he was just playing around; he would never give up a human to Undyne now that he saw how cool they really were!

His brother, on the other hand, saw this as yet another threat.

Sans knew that Frisk had the ability to RESET, so after he met (Y/N) (even though she was older and therefore more responsible, so she would surely not just RESET for fun or because of a small mistake, he would try to reassure himself), he just felt...uneasy, if that was the right word to describe how he felt about this particular human. When he first laid his eyes (or, rather, eye sockets) on her, he just knew that she would be trouble for him and especially his brother.

~~~~~

"Human," the shorter skeleton had said behind her, silhouetted by the trees and too lazy to make up a new greeting for this human. "Don't you know how to greet a new pal?"

She was frozen in fear, her breath hitched in her throat.

Sans kept up his easygoing smile, even though he could tell she was frightened. "Turn around," he told her, "and shake my hand."

With a gulp, she slowly and reluctantly turned around, her eyes widened at the silhouette. He then held out his hand for her to take. This was just way too creepy for her, but she felt as if she didn't have a choice. To get this over with, she obliged and shakily took his hand.

PBBBBBFFFFT!!

The human jumped at the sudden fart sound coming from the rubbery object in this monster's hand, taken by surprise, but Sans kept his grip on her hand until the sound faded out.

And then, she laughed.

He had to admit, he never heard a laugh like that--well, besides that laugh from the woman behind the door. It was nice, and she sounded relieved as well, but that didn't mean she was off the hook. It was then that he stepped out of the shadows with a chuckle, not letting his carefree manner slip in the slightest.

"the old whoopie cushion in the hand trick," he said, his smile growing. "it's always funny."

This human girl was now surprised by his appearance, but it wasn't out of fear anymore. Good; he needed her trust to not draw suspicion from him.

"i'm sans. sans the skeleton," he greeted.

~~~~~

Since then, Sans had been keeping his eye sockets on (Y/N), but not too much; he also had a reputation to keep up, and that called for his laziness. Plus, he didn't want to seem like a stalker.

After meeting her, he introduced her to Papyrus, and, much to Sans's dismay, they got along just fine! She seemed to like his puzzles and his spaghetti, which was a win-win in Papyrus's book. So, since this human had nowhere to stay, the naïve skeleton allowed her to stay at their home.

Great.

But, no matter what, Sans couldn't let his guard down--not while she was living with the brothers for the time being. So, on her first night, he came to her on the couch, letting her off with a warning.