Together We Go

Seeing Brendon look out the window like a puppy is the only thing I need to make myself happy. That long drive would have been completely dreadful otherwise.

During the silent moments while Brendon was sleeping, I reminisced the times that I actually enjoyed my dad. He took me down through California once when I was young, and throughout that drive I remember moments where I believed that I would grow up with my dad- My best friend for life.

Even though I was dead wrong, I can relive those happy times and even remake them with an even better person- who I will assure to be my best friend for life soon.

I know this was more of an escape plan for Brendon, but it was an escape for me, too. I felt the same pressure and confinement that Brendon did, but only because he felt it. I can breathe because he can breathe.

All I want for Brendon is to have someone when he needs them, unlike I did. At that age I had no one and it fucked me up. I care about Brendon too much for him to be alone in this.

And I thought about it every second we were on that car ride. My father, who was not there for me, and me being there for Brendon.

God, we should have just taken a plane.

After my silent crisis and realization of the true care I had for Brendon, we got to the apartment at around eight o'clock in the morning after we both took a nap in the car. We walked up the stairs of the building as I talked on the phone to Joe.

"Yeah, we're on our way up. We had a long drive so we're taking a while." I laugh as I look at Brendon trudge up the stairs.

"No problem, if you want to hold off on the tour of the place and crash when you get up here for a few hours that's fine by me."

"I think I'm good. Brendon got plenty of sleep on the way so he's just being over dramatic." I look over at him and he flips his middle finger at me as if it was natural.

"Okay, I'll be here." Joe says with a small laugh before he hangs up.

We finally reach the end of he second flight of stairs and walk down the hallway until I see a tall man with dark curly hair covering his face standing outside of a door.

"Joe?" I ask timidly before the man looks up and his hair falls back, revealing his face.

"Hey Ryan, and this is Brendon, right?" He shakes my hand then goes to Brendon.

"Yeah. So you said there's a couch, TV, and kitchen appliance in there already?" He nods and opens the door for us to walk into the big space.

The floors are wooden and the windows bring in sunlight that show dust floating in the air. The walls are painted a dark maroon. A dark brown couch sits right in front of an old coffee table and a TV on another table in front of it in the center of the walk way. The kitchen appliances aren't very dated, maybe a year or two old.

"There's two bathrooms, one in the hallway to the bedroom and one in the bedroom." Joe tells us.

"Brendon you can sleep on the couch for a couple hours if you want, I'm gonna go buy us a mattress so we don't have to sleep on the floor tonight." Brendon nods and flops on the couch with a grunt.

Joe coughs awkwardly then starts to talk about work. "So I'm thinking maybe you could work from around five to ten or if you want earlier hours you can let me know. You know bars aren't that busy during the middle of the day though, so it's harder to get tips."

"I'm going to be working at Taco Bell during the day, and then I'll want a couple hours before I go to work again, so yeah five sounds good." I nod.

"Great. I'm thinking rent won't be much of an expense because you're already working for me. But I will need you to pay for utilities. That's probably it." He shrugs.

"Okay, thanks again, Joe." I nod.

"No problem. You'll start next week by the way." He tells me as he shuts the door behind himself.

I turn back to Brendon. "So you might want to come with me if you want the mattress that you want."

"I like how yours was from your old apartment. Anything that's a little firm is fine." His voice is muffled by the couch cushion.

"Okay, I guess. Goodnight princess." I say with a mocking sweet voice.

"Fuck you." He snaps. I lean over the couch and kiss the back of his head.

"Get some sleep." I roll my eyes as I walk out the door.

As I drive around these streets looking for a mattress store I sense a feeling of comfort. This simple area with some stores and shops and the bar down the street makes me feel like I can be comfortable here. It's only five minutes from the center of the chaos that is Los Angeles, so if I get too comfortable, I'll know where to go.

Even being in the crowded jam of the city is bette than anything we had back home. The only thing we're missing is our crazy ass friends.

I finally find a store with mattresses and walk into the empty room. With the occasional recommendation by the seller, I "tested" every mattress in sight for at least five minutes. I pretended to be focusing on the feel of the mattress when in reality I was looking for a rest.

I found a nice one that was the right amount of firm that Brendon wanted, so I paid for it with extra to have it delivered to the apartment by noon. Until then, Brendon and I are going to have to share the couch because fuck, am I exhausted.

-a/n: hey guys hope you're having a good day/afternoon/night. I really think this chapter goes with oh ms believer, especially the first part. plus, I love that song and all of self titled because its a beautiful album and you cannot deny that. anyways, I hope you're enjoying this so far. thanks for reading as always ily !!