Chapter 19

Jordyn POV

Winter break is finally over. School is back. I don't know how I am supposed to focus on classes when I'm trying to process what is happening in my personal life with my family.

I feel like I lost my whole family. Alexis hates me. The man I thought was my dad isn't. My mom has been lying to me all my life.

It's times like this where I wish I graduated early. At least when I'm around Paige I feel better. I hope she doesn't think I'm relying on her too much. When we broke up, she said we had to figure ourselves out separately, so I just hope that we don't trigger that again.

I get dressed and head to school. When getting to my locker, I was relieved to see Callie there. I haven't been able to tell her anything. She only knows about Alexis blaming me for my parents separating.

"We need to talk. " I say as I shut my locker.

We walked down the hall. Last semester we didn't have the same class as the first semester, but this semester we do. We head towards class. We take a seat in the back. I move the desk close to hers.

"You won't believe what I have to tell you."

Callie leans in looking anxious to hear what I have to say. "Go on."

"My dad isn't my real dad." Saying it aloud was hard. Callie put her hand up to her mouth after she gasped. "To top it off, my mom says I know who my real dad is. She says it's someone I know."

Callie's mouth was hanging open, in complete shock.

"Omg Jordyn! How are you doing?"

I shrug my shoulders and lean back in my seat. "It hurts like hell. The look on my dad's face and the anger in him when he told me was difficult. Paige keeps telling me to give it time because he is in just as much shock as I am, so I'm trying."

"She's right, but that doesn't help much for you. I can't even imagine what you are going through." Callie says. I saw her eyes wander off to the door as Christian walked through it. ''What is he doing here?'

Christian looks back at us as he takes a seat towards the front. He had his spine-chilling grin on.

"What did we do to deserve this shit?" Callie mumbles.

The teacher walks in and calls for Callie to come up. I sit there trying to hear what they are saying back and forth. I can't make any of it out. Callie comes back to her seat looking annoyed.

The teacher starts class off. Callie is writing something down on a piece of paper. When the teacher had their back to us, she threw it on my desk.

-This is the only time this class is available. They said it can't be done independently so basically, he told me to suck it up.

I turn my head to her who is pretending to shoot herself in the head. I mouth 'sorry' to her.

When class was over, she linked her arms to mine as we walked out. "So, let's try to figure out who your real dad is."

I stop in my tracks to look at her.

"I don't know." I wasn't sure if I wanted to know. I do, but I don't. If I figure it out, that means all this is true. Part of me wants to pretend my parents lied to me.

Callie raises her brows at me. "I know you want to know."

We start walking again. A teacher walks by us, and this time Callie stops and turns around.

"Mr. Kingdom has blue eyes, maybe..."

Before she could finish, I stopped her. "There is no way. You can't make a joke out of this."

"Jordyn, I don't think this is a joke! You need to find out who this guy is." Callie's voice sounded pushy.

I sigh as we continue moving. "Okay, but I'm going to get my mom to tell me. I'm not going around guessing every guy could be my father. It's a little disrespectful don't you think?"

Callie burst out in a laugh. I elbow her. "Disrespectful? Your mom is the one who lied and obviously cheated on your dad."

I didn't say anything more about it.

Paige POV

I still have two weeks before class resumes. Jordyn wanted me to go back to her house and stay with her, but I didn't. It's not that I don't want to be there for her, but she has to do this on her own. I'm still going to be there for her, but she can't rely solely on me.

I also need to find a job.

I get ready to leave. I go to the living room where Alexis is.

"Where are you going?" She questions me.

I ignore her. I went to the kitchen to get a drink.

"Stop giving me the silent treatment. I messed up. What do you want me to do?"

I set the bottle of water I got out of the fridge on the counter. I placed both my hands on the counter leaning on it. I take a deep breath before turning around so I don't explode. I turn to Alexis who is standing there with her hand on her hip waiting for a response from me.

"I don't want anything from you Alexis." I grab the bottle of water and walk by her.

I hear a faint voice from behind me. "It feels like you are walking out on our friendship."

I open the door and turn my head to her. "You already did that."

I walk out, shutting the door behind me. There is a lot of tension and unsettled business with Alexis and me.

Right now, I don't want to focus on it. She used to be the one person I always wanted to work things out with. I can't do that right now.

I take the bus to a local restaurant by the college. I saw online that they are hiring a hostess. When I go into the restaurant, I'm greeted by a girl around my age.

"Just one?" She asks me.

I was confused what she meant at first, but then realized what she was asking.

"No, I'm not eating. I was wanting to put an application in."

She looks me up and down making me feel a little uncomfortable. "Come with me." She says as she walks me over to a booth.

I follow along and sit in the booth as she sits on the other side.

"How old are you?" She asks with a friendly smile.

"I'm 19." I answer. "Why are we sitting here, shouldn't I be filling out an application?"

This girl sits back in the booth.

"You know if this is how friendly you are, you might want to try a new job. My dad owns this restaurant, and I was going to put a good word in for you."

I could have slapped myself in my face.

"I'm sorry. I've been dealing with a lot." I try to stay vague, so I don't look like I'm trying to get pity on me.

"You are lucky I'm feeling nice today." She says with a smile. "I'm Amanda and I'm two years older than you. This restaurant has been in my family for decades. It was originally my grandpa who passed it down to my dad. My parents are about family unity, so they want a workplace like that."

"I'm Paige." I keep it short.

"What is your belief when it comes to family and working together?" Amanda asks.

Why did she have to ask that?

I don't want to talk about family. I want to get up and walk out, but I need this job.

"Look, I'm going to be honest with you. My family isn't perfect. My dad died a year ago, and my mom wants nothing to do with me. All I really have is my girlfriend, my aunt and cousins. I am a hard worker and I get along with most people. I am willing to do whatever is asked of me."

Amanda looks me straight in the eyes. I can't tell what she is thinking. Did I just cross her path wrong again?

"I'm sorry about your dad." She speaks. "I'll put a good word in for you, which means you will get the job."

I wanted to jump up and hug the girl.

"Thank you!"

"So can I ask you something?" Amanda walks me back to the front. "When you said girlfriend, did you mean your friend or ..."

I cut her off knowing where this is going. "I mean girlfriend as in I'm gay."

She nods her head smiling. I feel like she was a little shocked that I didn't try to hide it.

I walk out and head to the bus stop. While standing there in the cold, I see Amanda walking this way. I turn my attention away from her.

"Hey Paige." I hear her voice from behind me. I turned back to her.

She has her arm extended out and I see a piece of paper.