Chapter 4

“You are late Cloey.” My science teacher, Mr. Adams - who oddly looks like Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings - says in a dull voice.

“No, I’m early.” I snap back in a sarcastic tone, causing a few laughs to go off throughout the quiet classroom.

 Mr. Adams just glares at me before walking back to his desk. He reaches inside this little cubby thing and pulls out a small rectangle sheet of pink paper. I'm pretty sure I can guess what that is.

He starts scribbling down something on the paper. He walks back over to me, giving me that old man grudge look that actually might just be his. I still haven't figured that out yet.

 “You will be coming in after school to clean the classroom, due to your rude behavior. That was unacceptable. Now go sit down you nat, before I squash you.” He growls, gracefully placing the detention slip on top of the books I'm holding.

 I stick my tongue out at him with a pout and, unwillingly, go to sit at my seat which is, very unluckily, in the front row.

Wait… did he just call me a nat, and say he was going to squash me? It had taken a minute for the words to register in my mind. Yes… I believe he did. What the heck? Who says that to their student? Such a jerk.

He gave me a detention after school with him for something very stupid. I just couldn’t help but throw sarcasm in at moments where it could be used. He should have learned that twenty detentions ago.

I'm guessing he isn't very bright, but then again, I don’t really pay much attention to him in class. I know all of this already from the extra tutoring I do. Yeah I'm a nerd, whatever. I don’t give a crap, as long as I get a good application for college.

The whole rest of the hour is a huge blur to me. I have way too much on my mind. I still can’t get over the fact that I bent a pole this morning. A task that is very much impossible for a human to do without either breaking something in their body or using some sort of tool. Then there was that whole super hearing thing going on.

This was kind of like a Smallville moment, where the Superman guy was discovering that he could fly. He woke up floating above his bed, then he totally freaked out. He hadn't known he had the ability to do that. I was him at that moment… except I’m a girl, so yeah. I have no idea what to think of that.

Tyler and his uncle were making me think, too. How did he know my father? How did time just stop? Why was Tyler acting like he was?

Yeah, he had angry man period moments all the time, but still. I had never seen him go as far as to threaten, let alone, inflict pain on any authority like figure. It was weird and I needed answers. I was going to see him during lunch, so it would be the perfect timing to ask him. In the mean time, I decide I might as well annoy the crap out of Mr. Adams since I have detention anyway.

“Pst!" No reply. "Pst, Mr. Adams!” There goes the paper I've scrunched into a ball. It flies at his face just as he turns around to see the horrible person speaking out of term.  AKA, me.

Ah, the sweet satisfaction of hearing the paper take a direct shot.

“Cloey Stasha! How dare you!” He growls like a ferocious lion scaring away his enemies, before bending down to pick up the paper ball. Man, I feel bad for the people behind him. They are stuck getting a front eye view of that. Their eyes must be burning out of their sockets. I'm sure mine probably would if I was witnessing a full moon like that right up close.

 “Ye-“ No time to complete my word. He throws the paper back at me, right in the face. How rude! He basically just declared war and I accept.