01| The Professor's Assistant

"

"... And that concludes today's Gym Leader updates. Tune in tomorrow when Elesa reveals her brand-new team of—"

   I switched the T.V. off and flopped down on the couch. I grabbed a pillow and held it over my face, burying my nose in the soft fabric and letting out a muffled sigh of frustration in the process.

   "Bored again?"

   Someone padded across the carpeted floor of the living room to stand beside me. A second later, the pillow was snatched from my grasp and I was faced with my sister Rosa. She was leaning over me. Her eyebrows were raised and she was giving me a lopsided smile.

   "Uh-huh." I nodded. "When do ya think Mom's gonna get home?"

   Rosa shrugged and stood up straight. "She said that she wasn't going to be gone for too long. I wonder what's keeping her? We made those plans with Hugh earlier, and I really don't want to go without telling Mom."

   As she finished talking, we heard the sound of a key turning in the front door's lock. I bolted up into a sitting position, my hair frizzed out in every direction from the couch's static. I then looked over the back of the couch at the front door. The door opened and our mom quickly darted into the house, slamming the door behind her in order to keep the cold out. She looked at Rosa and me, a joyous smile on her face.

   "Hey, you two!" she greeted us in a tone just as cheery as her expression. "Sorry I took so long! I got caught up in a conversation with one of my old friends."

   "Who was it?" I asked.

   "My friend Aurea. But you two probably know her better as Professor Juniper."

   "You're friends with Professor Juniper?!" Rosa squealed, her eyes lighting up with excitement. I rolled my eyes when I saw her do this. She'd kill for a chance to talk with her hero.

   "Yes I am, and she told me something exciting. She said..." our mom paused for dramatic effect, "That she's giving you two Pokémon!"

   "What?!" Rosa and I exclaimed at the same time, completely shocked.

   Our mom nodded. "Yep! Her assistant is going to be in the city in a little bit, and she told me to look for a girl wearing a big green hat. Isn't this amazing? You're getting your first Pokémon today!"

   Rosa rushed over to our mom and hugged her. Our mom tousled her hair and smiled wider. "You two should get going, I'm sure the assistant won't want to wait for long," she said.

   I jumped off the couch and went over to Rosa. I grabbed her by the arm and started pulling her towards the front door, excitement coursing through me. "C'mon, sis! Like Mom said, we shouldn't keep the assistant waiting." Rosa didn't object and let me pull her outside. The autumn air didn't even feel cold, I guess I was too excited to care that it was fifty five degrees, I just wanted my Pokémon.