03| Though the Parting Hurts

"Your Pokémon are all healed up and ready to go! Have a nice day!" the cheery nurse said as she handed us back our Pokémon

"Thanks, you too!" I replied as I stared at Saber's Poké Ball. "You... did great," I said to the object as if Saber could hear me from within. I attached Saber's ball to my belt, Hugh attached Flaris' ball to his, and Rosa slipped Ivy's into her shorts pocket. While we were waiting for our Pokémon to heal, we discussed what our upcoming plans would be. We had Pokémon now, so that meant we were supposed to go on a journey. We decided that Hugh would go home and talk to his parents about this and he would hopefully be able to meet us at the Route 19 gate.

"I'm gonna take Lily home. See you guys in a bit. I'm not worried that my parents will say no, they've been wanting me to go on a journey too."

"Be safe! If my big brother's friends got hurt, I'd be sad," Lily said. "And also, be nice to Saber and Ivy please! Take really, really good care of them, okay?"

"Why wouldn't we?" I laughed. "These Pokémon are our partners! They're the reason we're going on a journey in the first place."

We waved bye to Lily and headed home. Our mom was sitting at the dining room table, like she had been waiting for us to come home. She had two good-sized boxes on the ground beside, both wrapped in colorful wrapping paper.

"How'd it go?" she asked before we were able to say hello. "Who did you two pick?"

We showed her Saber and Ivy. Our mom looked so happy for us when she saw our starters. "That's great! And I also have another surprise for you two!" She hauled up the two boxes and set them on the table. She explained that these were going to be our birthday gifts, but she decided that now would be a better time to give them to us.

We tore into the boxes and saw what we got. Rosa pulled a large white and pink backpack with gold accents from her box. I too had gotten a backpack, mine was dark blue with black accents.

"Don't stop there, open them!" Mom said.

Inside the backpack were five Poké Balls, a few Potions, a container of Pokémon food, a lightweight sleeping bag, and a brand-new wallet. Rosa got the same things that I did, except she had opened the wallet she got.

"Mom! You didn't have to..." She gaped at what she found in the wallet. She reached inside and pulled out 12,000 PokéYen. I hastily checked my wallet and found the same amount.

"I've been putting aside that money, bit by bit since you two were ten," Mom began saying. "I wanted you to start off with a nice amount of money. I know you earn money from Trainer battles, but I didn't want either of you to already be pressed for money. It's tough out there."

I suddenly felt my throat tighten and the corners of my eyes stung with welling tears. Our mom had always done so much for us, and that wasn't more evident than it was now. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tighter than I had ever before. Rosa joined in and our mom responded by lightly kissing us on our heads. "Watch out for each other, and be careful! I know you two will do great out there," she said quietly. We let go of her and she handed us our final gifts. Xtransceivers, just like the model she wore around her wrist. I put mine on my right wrist, marveling at its shiny blue exterior and the spotless touchscreen. I wanted to say thank you, but I was too choked up to say anything.