Chapter 8: True Friends

Kurt's fingers strummed a chord on his acoustic guitar as I sat on the couch next to him. Mom was in the kitchen making noodles. It was a snowy Friday in late January, and this was Kurt's second time at my house.

He sang the first notes of "Hey Jude" by The Beatles, then added in the accompanying notes. I liked the way he sang: raspy, but not too deep.

Hey Jude, don't make it bad. take a sad song and make it better; remember to let her into your heart, then you can start to make it better. Hey Jude, don't be afraid, you were made to go out and get her; the minute you let her under your skin, then you begin to make it better.

I clapped as he ended. "You're so good at singing! So talented."

"Thanks," he replied, brushing his dark blond hair back.

Meeting this guy was probably the best thing that had happened that year. Kurt wasn't my secret friend anymore. Everyone knew, and they talked about us.

"I can't believe Stefanie is friends with that guy!"

"Isn't he the one who got sent to the principal's office yesterday for vandalizing a desk?"

"Yep, that's Kurt. What does Stef see in him?"

"I don't know, he is kinda cute..."

But I'd learned not to care what others thought. I had better things to think about than what crossed the minds of others. Fear is stupid. In fact, I decided that it was just about time to introduce my newest friend to all of the others.

I walked up to the lunch table with him, then cleared my throat. "Hey!" I started. "I want all of you to meet Kurt Cobain. And be nice to him. Please."

He stepped forward and reluctantly sat down next to Norma. "Um, hi."

"Hey there. I'm Norma Peterson," she replied, shaking his hand, slightly blushing.

Everyone else introduced themselves. Helen MacNamara, Pam Goldberg, Mike O'Neil, Cindy Wainwright. Then I nudged Kevin in the arm as if to say, "Talk to him."

"Kevin Romano. Stefanie Westcott's boyfriend," he announced boldly, locking eyes with Kurt. "Thanks for being a friend to Stef, I guess."

My friend shrugged. "It's cool. Take care of her," he responded, looking a bit uncomfortable. Still, he turned to me and smiled. "It's nice to meet your friends, Steffie."

Steffie. Hmm. "I'm sure you'll like them," I replied, trying to reassure him.

I found myself more interested in Kurt's life, becoming his confidante.

"Doesn't it bother you that people are always down on you?" I asked him.

"I don't care."

"You don't care if they call you... gay? Because you don't fit in with the other guys?"

He let his gold hair fall in his face. "You know, I've actually thought I might even be gay or bi. Pssh, maybe not. The girls here... I don't really feel much for any of them."

"Even me?" I asked. Totally awkward.

"Hmm. You're a good friend, Stef. One of the best I ever had. Probably the most badass girl in Aberdeen High. And someday I'm gonna write a song just for you," he assured me.

"You're going to be a star someday. I know it. And you'll find someone for you. Someone who loves you more than you'll ever know."

He nodded. "I'll go out in a blaze of glory, and the world will remember my name."

For the first time ever, I gave him a hug. I didn't know that he was being serious, but I knew that he'd do something great. I never would have guessed that I'd ever be friends with someone like Kurt Donald Cobain, but it was the best kind of surprise. We'd helped each other find ourselves, and I wasn't going to let him face this alone.