chapter four - updated

Zander's Point of View

Sitting at the table with Cara and her friends scared the hell out of me.

I only just moved here and it's my first day. I planned on staying under the radar and I ended up literally running into one of the most beautiful girls in the school. Smooth Zander, real smooth.

I feel attached to Cara for some reason. Every time she touches me, my stomach drops and my heart picks up it's pace. I couldn't stop thinking about her all morning. Her beautiful eyes were engraved into my mind.

She's so outgoing and fearless and then here I am, a shy kid.

"Zander, darling. A penny for your thoughts?" Her soft voice asks.

I stop day dreaming and look at her, blushing. "Penny's are worthless now. If you want to know my thoughts, you'll have to persuade me with something much more valuable." I laugh, replying sarcastically.

"Well, if you wanted me to kiss you, you could have just asked." She says while leaning in slowly. Quickly, I slide away from her and shake my head.

"N-no, I-I didn't mean it like that!" I choke out. She laughs and shakes her head. She then leans over and kisses my cheek and my face becomes hot.

"You're too cute." She says to me and grabs my hand. I rub my thumb over the back of her hand. I lean over to her and whisper in her ear. "You're not so bad yourself."

Her head snaps to me, her eyes wide. Her cheeks are just as pink as her lips. I chuckle to myself. I can affect her just as much as she affects me. She clears her throat, and stands up quickly. I get up with her seeing as our hands are still attached. She walks away hurriedly and drags me out the front doors of the school.

"Where are we going?" I pant, looking at the clock.  The lunch bell is about to ring and I'm going to miss class.

"We are skipping the rest of the day. I'm taking you out." She says, letting go of my hand and walking to the driver's side of her car. I decide to live a little and I hop into the car quickly.

She starts the engine and races out of the parking lot. This should be interesting.

- - -

After a quiet drive, Cara pulls into a parking lot an turns the car off.

"Dave's Paintball-Palooza" I read outloud. I turn to her with a worried look plastered to my face.

"It's fun! I promise! Just live a little, will you? Today I'm going to take you to a few places and you will not complain!" She laughs. We get out of the car and I walk around the hood and grab her hand. "Okay," I agree. "Lets do this."

- - -

After we got suited up, we got our guns with one hundred paintballs. It was only us in the arena because teenagers are still in school. We start at opposite sides of the arena and a buzzer goes off, signalling us to begin our game.

"Zander, baby. Where are you? I promise not to shoot you." She yells in a sing song voice. I laugh to myself and duck behind one of the walls. She's close to me and I hear her.

Not too long after, she passes by in front of me and I shoot her

Not too long after, she passes by in front of me and I shoot her. Right in the butt. Good aim Zander. She yelps and turns around, looking right at me.

"Hey! I said I wouldn't shoot!" She yells while pointing her gun at me.

"All's fair in love and war, Baby." I smirk and run away. 

- - -

The game went on for another hour with us shooting eachother. It was actually pretty fun. I enjoy her company much more when we aren't in school. She's much more relaxed. More, herself.

We are currently in the car, on our way to McDonald's for some food. We go through the drive through and order our food. I pay for us, since she wouldn't let me pay for the paintballing. She then refused to let me eat my food until we reached our final destination.

She pulled onto a deserted road that was a little bit out of town. Then she pulled into a driveway that was hidden by a forest. She was definitely going to kill me.

She brings the car to a stop and kills the engine. I look out the front window and I'm in awe. We're on a cliff and the view is gorgeous.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Cara asks, looking at the view. I look at her and smile, "It most certainly is." Little does she know, I'm not just talking about the view.

She looks at me smiling, "We can eat now. We have plenty of time before sunset."

I grab the bags of food and start handing her the food she ordered. We sat in silence, enjoying the food and each other's company.

- - -

"No Zander!" I shake my head at her.

"Cara! Would you just listen to me!" I groan.

"No, I can't believe you!" She rubs her hands down her face.

"If you would just let me explain!" I plead.

"Fine." She speaks, waiting patiently for an explanation.

"Okay. It's only logical that the egg came first. I mean, chickens are born from them so.." I explain.

"Zander, I understand that! But I'm telling you, the chicken came first, then the egg. Chickens are what shit out the eggs!" She says exasperatedly.

I laugh at her and shake my head. I look at the view in front of us and tap Cara on the shoulder. I immediately retract my hand due to the tingles and point to the sun going down. The colors mixing in the sky are absolutely beautiful. We sit and watch the sun go down, the only sound is of the music playing quietly on the radio.

I feel Cara's hand wrap around mine and I look over at her. Then down at her lips. What I would do to have them on mine.

Eventually the sun went down and Cara dragged me out of the car to look at the lights that shine in the darkness. Illuminating the sky.

We lean on the hood of her car and I smile

We lean on the hood of her car and I smile. Today has been a good day. The best day I've had in a while.

I turned to Cara, and grab her face in my hands. Slowly, I lean towards her and give her time to reject what I'm about to do but she doesn't. I continue to lean towards her, while she does the same.

Our kiss, almost kiss, is cut off by the ringing of a phone. Her phone.

She pulls away to answer it and soon enough we are back in the car, on the way back to our separate homes.

- - - - -

Updated Authors note:

As you can see, I'm changing the way the book is going and currently editing it.

I changed the ending here. I was not happy with them moving so quickly so early on in the book and i thought it wasn't allowing for the story line to go where i wanted.

Let me know what you think of the edited version of the book so far?