Ambivalence

Albus kept telling himself that his cousin hadn't got anything to do with it. At the same time, some part of him insisted that she had everything to do with it. Then again, he himself wasn't really certain about anything at all. It had been bugging him since the previous year, after all those conflicts that nearly brought the wizarding world to an end. It definitely hadn't got anything to do with the journey of travelling back in time with Scorpius Malfoy. Everything had gone back to normal, despite the persistent taunts that were thrown at either of the two best friends; Albus, because he was the Potters' only Slytherin son; Scorpius, because everyone kept assuming he was Voldemort's son. But at least they were keeping up. Moreover, if there was one thing that had changed – even in the slightest – it had to be Rose Granger-Weasley's behaviour towards Scorpius.

Maybe that was where Albus' somewhat concern lay; his best friend and his cousin. Ever since Scorpius had gathered up his courage to ask her out during their fourth year, and both boys jested that the pity she gave by declining the offer had been merely the start of "foundation to build a palace of love", Albus couldn't help but be caught up with the thought of his best friend and his cousin together. He knew that Rose detested his best friend, but hadn't Aunt Hermione towards Uncle Ron? Hadn't Uncle Ron towards Aunt Hermione? He vaguely remembered the story of how his aunt and uncle met, which was on their first day riding the Hogwarts train where Aunt Hermione, already in her robes, bossed around Uncle Ron and his father, Harry.

They ended up married, didn't they? Now Albus was wondering whether the same thing could possibly happen to his own best friend and cousin. He pretty much was stuck on the same boat like his father had, except that he was merely on a whole other level. Truth was, he kept pondering over this relatively small issue over the summer. And he didn't know how to conclude it. He had, in fact, been fine with it. He had been joking with Scorpius before the holiday how he would get himself a girlfriend and they would go on a double date. But he didn't find it as amusing anymore. As a matter of fact, he was concerned.

That was where his other issue lay; concerned of what? Why should he be bothered? Rose had said no, hadn't she? At times, he deduced that it was because Rose was his cousin, that Scorpius – his best friend – had asked his cousin out. And then what? He had asked himself whenever that thought occurred. What's the problem with that? It's none of my business ... Undeniably, it definitely wasn't any of his business what his best friend felt about his cousin. She said no, why should I be worried? Isn't he the one who should be bothered that she rejected him? Anyone on their right mind would conclude the same thing. But something about the whole thing didn't just live up to Albus' expectation.

Uncle Ron had told him about how his mother, Ginny, used to go out with a couple of boys back in her teenage days before she and his father officially got together, and how he used to be angry about it and became meddlesome up to the point where he got to his sister's nerves. Perhaps that was what Albus was feeling; perhaps he was starting to become overprotective towards his cousin. But why should he? She hadn't done anything except losing some knots and acting less hostile towards Scorpius. She had even said "See you next term!" to him after they had departed from King's Cross.

During the summer, where the Potters visited the Granger-Weasleys, Albus tried bringing up the subject by asking about her current relationship with Scorpius in a joking manner. "That Malfoy boy asked you out?" Uncle Ron had exclaimed before his daughter had even had the chance to reply, and to which Aunt Hermione responded by smacking a rolled up Daily Prophet on the back of her husband's head – much to the Potters' amusement.

"You honestly think I'd want to hang out with him?" Rose had asked.

"You're a lot nicer to him lately."