[AU] Parallel

14th February, 12:43 PM

Something is off with him.

Scorpius wasn't the most adept at reading people – he wasn't some bloody psychic – but sometimes people tended to emit a very distinct, almost tangible vibe. It wasn't that difficult to tell how somebody was feeling, especially when their walls had caved in and they made no attempt to fortify themselves. His mother often told him that the eyes were the windows to one's soul – if only she could further explain the respectable way to keep a soul safe, though. Unfortunately, she wasn't here to make such enlightenment.

At the thought of his mother, Scorpius' clutch on the bouquet of flowers tightened. It had been years since she passed away due to a genetic disease, but Scorpius still got the sense that it was just yesterday when she first taught him how to play the piano.

He shook his head, fixating his gaze back on the boy with the unruly jet-black hair standing near the doors of the train, not bothering to take a seat. The hood of his jacket had been drawn over his head, hiding his face from view. But Scorpius never once left his attention from the boy, averting his gaze only when the boy lifted his head to drag a thumb below his eyes. He'd caught a glimpse of those light green eyes then. Bloodshot. Nose tinged with red. Every now and then, he'd let out a stifled sob and coughed afterwards, and anyone paying a close attention could tell that he was merely trying to put up a front. Scorpius could hear the sobs due to the nearly deserted carriage, save for an old man sleeping with his boater hat pulled low over his head and a woman in her mid-thirties scribbling down in her journal.

It took every ounce of his willpower not to approach Albus and ask him whether everything was okay – because nothing clearly was. And Scorpius was growing more concerned at each passing second. After all, it was Valentine's Day. Never in his life had Scorpius ever seen someone look so wretched on this day. Particularly Albus.

He was familiar with the boy, all right. They weren't exactly the best of friends, but he supposed Albus Potter had become some sort of a friend – a close one at that – given that he was considered a regular customer at a cinema that Scorpius worked in. They'd chat and joke around, and most of the time Scorpius would tease him about spoiling an upcoming superhero movie. The boy certainly was a sucker when it came to those kinds of films – once Albus showed up wearing Thor's cape and helmet during its latest movie premiere, sending Scorpius howling with laughter at the counter ("I don't think Thor wears his winged helmet anymore," he'd commented, receiving a relatively affronted look Albus).

Lately – over the past few months, precisely – Albus had been showing up with a date; a tall, dark-skinned boy with dreadlocks whose name Scorpius never remembered. Somewhat dejected though he was, at least this validated his inklings that Albus swung the other way. Though, on multiple occasions, Scorpius would remind himself to keep his distance from Albus. He's taken, he kept telling himself. Still, there were times where Scorpius sensed that Albus might take an interest in him as well. It was ridiculous, obviously. Not to mention that it made him appear childish to have such an optimistic fantasy. He's taken.

Perhaps that was what made Scorpius stay rooted on his spot, fighting the compulsion to close the distance between him and Albus within four strides to make sure that everything was okay. Albus Potter had been quite of a lonely boy. While adolescents normally arrived in bands – loud and boisterous – at the cinema, Albus was all by himself. Though, once or twice, his cousin would tag along. It was Scorpius who had first acknowledged Albus' seclusion during the previous year when the boy asked for one – one – movie ticket.

"Just one?" he'd asked. He knew he shouldn't ask such question, but he couldn't help it. Albus had showed up with a really unkempt hair and a black oversized sweater – not to mention the silver piercing on his left ear. Just that one ear. Scorpius was a goner.