Gotta Broken Heart Again

I couldn't wait for Joey to come back from the pool trip. Not only did I want him to see the massive stash of candy but I also wanted to show him the guitar. He's going to be so excited. I had so much more time to kill I didn't know what to do with myself. As I walked back toward the record store cop cars wailed as the flew by. They looked like they were in a hurry.

"Wonder what's bitchin' them?" I asked myself.

As I watched them round the corner it hit me.

"Fuck! The Avenue! He knows!"

Without a second thought I ran the twelve blocks back to the orphanage and didn't stop until I got there. My lungs were burning when I reached the tree to climb back into my room. I took the guitar and my book bag off and tossed it on my bed and fell on the floor facing the ceiling. I felt the panic run through my body as I laid there. I was praying that I wasn't seen with the guitar walking down the street like it was nothing. Just then there as a knock on the door. I grabbed the guitar still trying to catch my breath and shoved it under my bed without thinking I could damage it.

"Carlyn? You ok in here?" The staffer asked from the other side of the door.

"Yeah everything's cool!" I answered praying that the door wouldn't come flying open and the staff would see the sweaty mess that I was.

"Ok well you know you have chores to do. So come on and get to them."

"Coming!"

What a damn relief. I'm kinda tired of nearly getting caught twice in the last 45 minutes. I changed clothes and headed downstairs to start that laundry list of bullshit that they needed to me do. This was not like the Annie story people think of when they hear about homeless kids in an orphanage. The warden was strict but she wasn't crazy. We were fed three meals a day and we had clothes but the state funding was terrible which is why things were so old and ratty looking. We got tons of donations from churches and other organizations but we needed money to keep the lights on. Today's chores consisted of doing the laundry, cleaning the kitchen and setting the table for dinner. After that I had to cut the grass in the play area with a dull bladed lawn mower and pull the weeds from the fence. Once dinner was done I had to do the dinner dishes and wipe down the counters and tables. Now this shit is usually split between the other kids and the staff. However it's just me. How fucking fantastic. The only thing that helped me along was the guitar sitting under my bed. I did all that I could until the kids got back from the pool. They all scurried their little legs back to their rooms to change and go back out into the summer sun to play or to take naps. Joey who was too tired to move anymore fell asleep on the bus and staff had to carry him. He was laying on the couch sleeping with a smile on his face. He must have had a good time today. Dinner time came and went and I was back to doing my nightly chores. By the time I was done it was almost bed check. I had 10 minutes before Joey had to meet me at my bedroom door like he always would. The moment I finished I ran my ass back to my room and slipped on my pjs and waited for that tiny knock on the door. I sat on the bed and anxiously played with my fingers. Just as expected there was that tiny knock and in came Joey and his roger rabbit.

"Hey Carly!" He said excited.

"Hey spongebob!" I said as I smile pointing at his pajamas

"You're funny Carly!" He giggled.

"Well thank you! Thank you every much!" I said pulling off my best Elvis.

"I wish you could have came today. I had so much fun! And guess what I can almost go to the deep end!"

I laughed as he spoke.

"Very cool kid. But you wanna see something even cooler?"

He nodded in excitement.

"Go shut the door."

He ran and did what I asked and climbed up on my bed.

"I went to Tim's shop today and look what he gave me."

I pulled out the huge bag of candy and Joey's eyes got wide and his mouth hit the floor.

"Is that for us?" He asked.

"It is but you can't tell anybody. Not even the warden."

"I promise! Can I have some now?"

"Ok but just one piece tonight."

He picked his candy and sat on the bed with it.

"I have something else too."

"Really? What?"

I went under the bed and pulled out the guitar and took it out of its bag.

"TADA!" I shrieked.

"Whoa! Where did you get that?" He said excited.

"You like it?"

"This looks just like Prince's famous Teley! It looks just like the real thing!"

"Who is this Prince guy you keep harping about?"

He pulled out a picture from his pocket of the same guy that was just here yesterday holding that very same guitar that I now had in my possession.

"See! This is Prince! And that is his guitar."

That sudden feeling of dejavu knocked me on my ass because there on the back of the page was that symbol from the bus and the license plate.

"Oh no! Oh god! Oh shit!" I said in a panic.

"What's wrong Carly?" Joey asked.

It was time to fess up. I couldn't lie to the little guy.

"Joey that guitar looks like Prince's guitar because.....it is Prince's guitar."

His face went blank.

"WHAT!?!?! How did you get it?!?!"

"Ummmm......I borrowed it......from The Avenue."

"YOU STOLE IT!?!?!" Joey shouted.

I ran over quickly and covered his mouth.

"Shhhh not so loud! I'll take it back tomorrow I promise!"

"How??? We have mass in the morning?"

"I don't know but I'll take it back to him I promise."

Joey got up from the bed and he didn't look happy.

"Don't be mad at me kid. Please?"

"Too late. I am."

He opened the door and left out of my room. Now I've done it. I've hurt him.

"Joey?"

No answer. He was just gone. I need to go and give that guitar back.