Christmas Dad

Now before we get into this thing I'm just letting you know that were jumping forward a little in time because most of my backstory is a snore fest. So here we are at December 16 2006. A cold snowy Saturday in Chanhassen. The house was bland. Considering the fact that my new rock star daddy is a hardcore Jehovah's Witness he doesn't do the holiday season the way you would think. Not that I believe in Santa Clause and all that other kid shit doesn't mean I have to stop loving Christmas. I left out of my bedroom and went off to find my dad. Since I was adopted on my 16th birthday in October things have been pretty silent since I got here. The fanfare that had ensued during the honeymoon phase has now come to an end. Good. I wasn't a fan of the big hoorah like I thought I would be. I was just glad to be adopted. I feel bad for leaving Joey behind though. Daddy lets him come spend the weekend here since he knew how badly I would miss him. Now I know what you're thinking. You just got adopted in October and already you're calling him daddy? How did that happen and when? Well calm you're tits I'll tell you.

🎸🎸🎸

I was sitting at the table one Friday night in November when I heard the sound of Prince's Telecaster calling my name as it played behind a big black door with the love symbol on it painted in gold. I knocked on the door and waited for a response.

"Tony I told you I'll call him later." A voice said from inside.

"Not Tony! Carlyn!" I said as I put my hands on my hips and waited to go inside.

"Oh! Well in that case come in."

I opened the door and went inside and sat down on a bench next to him while he sat behind his soundboard.

"I thought Tony was taking you to the mall today."

"He was. I was waiting for him to take me in the lobby. Then I heard you playing. I thought maybe I'd come up and keep you company."

"Well that's very sweet of you but I'm fine."

"Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"That! Act like everything's cool when it ain't."

"What are you talkin' about everything is cool."

And just like that it came out as naturally as it could.

"No it's not dad."

The shock factor in the room was apparent. My eyes were widened the moment I let the word 'dad' come out of my mouth. He turned to me and had this unreadable and sort of confused look on his face. He was trying to put together what had happened in his mind as I still sat stunned and in complete disbelief. I think he didn't like it. He finally snapped back to earth and spoke.

"What did you just say?" He asked in a puzzled tone.

"I.....I......I said its.....not."

A smile crept on his face.

"I heard that part. But after that you called me something. What did you call me?"

The smile on his face was now bigger than his rockstar persona.

"I didn't call you anything." I said coyly turning my face away from his so he wouldn't see my embarrassment.

"Oooh don't try to back out now kid. Come on. Say it again."

"What? Dad?"

"That's the word." He said as he snapped his fingers.

"You mean you're not mad?"