02 Plan revised

What you don't know (by oxala): Chapter 02 - Plan revised

-----------------

One day had been enough to convince Charles of Plan Invisible's failure. It simply was not viable; it was too lonely. The plan needed revision.

I'll just keep a low profile. I won't say too much. I'll blend in ... act normal.

Charles' last class before lunch was trigonometry. It was one of the few classes he did not share with Eric. This fact had allowed him to escape into the cafeteria unmolested for the past week. But today, Jeff, who sat immediately behind him in trig, asked Charles to join him on the front lawn for lunch. As much as he wanted to refuse, the thought of spending almost an hour sitting alone in the cafeteria again combined with the knowledge that he needed to blend in, persuaded him to accept Jeff's friendly gesture.

Jeff, after informing Charles that everybody brought their own lunch to school and nobody ate in the cafeteria, accompanied him through the greasy food line.

I guess I'll be a halfabody today.

With deep fried wonders in tow, they walked through the courtyard that separated the cafeteria from the main building. Charles noticed that the dozen or so tables did not seem especially crowded. They walked east, out of the courtyard, and turned north, walking around the eastern wall of the large main building and onto the front lawn. Jeff led Charles over to a nice spot under a tree to join two girls. They had already begun eating their sack lunches.

"Charles, this is Liz, this is Amy, girls this is Charles", Jeff said by way of introduction.

"Hi", they returned with no real enthusiasm.

Charles and Jeff sat on the ground next to the girls, the four of them forming a semi-circle looking westward, with most of the expansive lawn in their view. As Jeff chit-chatted with Liz and Amy about people Charles knew nothing about, Charles observed the groups of students spread across the large lawn before him. Most were sitting in small groups of four to seven; some were in couples; some seemed to meander from group to group; there were a few large groups of as many as twenty five clustered together.

Those must be the popular kids and wannabes.

He did not intend to be rude, but he intruded into the light conversation in a tone far too serious for the situation.

"No wonder the cafeteria is so empty."

"What?" Liz replied bluntly.

"The cafeteria ... n-n-not many people eat there", Charles responded awkwardly. A small laugh from Liz was the only response he received as his companions returned to their chit-chat.

Didn't Jeff just tell me "nobody" eats in the cafeteria? Did I just sound like a complete idiot? Why is this so fucking hard? At least I know why the cafeteria is empty.

A lull in the conversation provided Charles with the perfect opportunity to put his foot back into his mouth.

"Liz, why is your hair purple?"

Please don't look at me like that Liz; I am not trying to be rude; I'm just crazy fucking nervous and that angry look on your face is making it worse.

"It's not purple, it fuchsia", she said gruffly, glaring at Charles for a moment longer. And then she smiled, really smiled.

"Excuse me Liz, why is your hair fuchsia", Charles asked with greater confidence, emboldened by that smile. The ice was broken. Over the next several minutes, Charles relaxed a little and even participated less awkwardly in the conversation, getting to know his new friends a little.