06 What you don't know

What you don't know (by oxala): Chapter 06 - What you don't know

--------------------

Charles and Eric awakened before nine, and after a quick breakfast, decided to study at the dining table until their friends arrived. The morning passed leisurely, allowing the boys to easily settle into their now well practiced routine of study a little, talk a little. It pleased them that most of their work was complete when the first of the guests arrived shortly after noon.

Although his father had warned him, "no parties", Charles knew his father would not regard a small gathering of less than a dozen as a party. Furthermore, his father was fully aware that Charles and Eric had invited friends the join them on Saturday. He also knew that when his father said "no drinking", in spite of the obvious hypocrisy, he meant absolutely zero alcohol consumption. He genuinely expected his father to appear at some point during the day and he knew with certainty that if his father as much as suspected the use of drugs or alcohol, his life would be hell again. Charles was not willing to take such a risk.

Clay arrived first, not with Becky as expected, but with a friend named Brad that Charles knew by sight but had never met. Eric answered the door, leaving Charles seated at the table. Charles stood and approached the newcomers immediately as he observed Clay placing a case of beer on the bar. Charles did not even bother to say hello.

"Clay, I appreciate it dude, but the beer's not welcome, put it in the trunk of your car. I don't want to see it here and don't want it to be visible in your car. Put it in the trunk."

"You're joking, right?"

"I am not joking asshole; put it in the trunk, now!" Charles said angrily.

Eric, Clay and Brad were taken aback by Charles' sudden and unexpected anger.

"What's wrong with you dude?" Clay responded surprised and slightly annoyed.

"You are a guest here; put the beer in the trunk or fucking leave."

"Dude, there is a fully stocked bar right here, and you're pissed because I brought a case of beer?"

"If you so much as touch the bar, I'll rip your fucking head off!"

At this point, Clay became angry. He was not upset that Charles did not want the beer. That Charles appeared to be "acting like a total asshole" did not perturb him as he was accustomed to aggressive posturing at parties. Not even the ultimatum had genuinely upset him. That Charles aggressively threatened him crossed the line. The tense situation would have almost certainly escalated to violence had Eric not intervened.

"Clay, put the fucking beer in the trunk, ok, Charles will apologize when you get back."

"I'm not going to apologize to that prick!"

"Yes Charles, you will apologize", Eric brought the full weight of his dark stare directly into Charles eyes.

At first, Charles was unmoved. After some moments, as Clay carried out the case of beer while Brad stood awkwardly observing the strange encounter, Eric continued.

"Charles, you will apologize, you were totally out of line bro."

"This is my home Eric."

"Charles, pull your head out, you were fucking rude."

"Eric ..."

"No Charles, you don't speak to people like that, you don't threaten people, it's wrong ... Charles, you are going to apologize when he returns, yes or no?"