08 Halloween destroyed the plan

What you don't know (by oxala): Chapter 08 - Halloween destroyed the plan

---------------

Charles sat down in the seat closest to the windows in front of the assistant principal's desk. He smirked slightly as he observed the man's obvious discomfort. The assistant principal seated himself behind his desk, shuffled some papers, and appeared reluctant to say anything.

Fuck, I hope I don't get suspended, my father will kill me. Damn, he even warned me this morning. So much for the plan ... I'll just keep a low profile ... fuck...

"Ah, Charles, ah ... ah ..."

Wow, the conservative bastard can't even look me in the eye ... this is just too much fun!

"Charles, ah, this is not appropriate attire for school."

"I think I look quite nice, thank you."

Oh my god is this fun. The look on his face ... he really wasn't expecting that one.

"Technically, you haven't really broken any rules, but I am going to have to ask you to go home for the day."

Charles smiled to himself as he made his way to the southwest corner of the building, headed to the student parking lot behind the school.

Didn't break any rules ... HA! I guess they did say they would send anyone home who came to school in costume. I guess they can't really suspend me given that they announced the consequences to the entire school over the PA system at least three times, including yesterday morning. And I made it all the way through sixth period without being reported, all my teachers loved it. I'm only missing one class.

***

Almost all the students, and most of the teachers, were infuriated by the administration's decision to ban the wearing of costumes to school on Halloween. In a ninety second announcement over the PA, the principal had destroyed a beloved school tradition. Charles could not have cared less. He had not dressed in costume for Halloween since he was younger than Zach. When Amy and Genie first proposed the idea, Charles was dismissive. He genuinely wanted to keep a low profile. He definitely wanted to avoid being disliked by the school administrators as he had been at his previous school. But the more Amy and Genie persisted, the more he liked the idea. Ultimately, the idea was too good to resist. It stirred the rebellious teenager that resides in all teenagers. It tickled the raging iconoclast living in his brain. It stimulated his irrepressible desire to say, "fuck you, I'm too smart for that", to the lifeless face of institutionalized stupidity. Finally, after having suffered such a strange and intense weekend, it provided an opportunity to declare, most importantly to himself, "I am not afraid".

"OK, let's do it."

"Don't worry Charles, we'll take care of all the details, you just have to show up."

The idea marched toward reality like a good soldier.

***

The decision had been made on Tuesday during lunch. Charles, Amy, and Genie had eaten in a different location on the lawn, apart from their usual lunch gang. Amy and Genie wanted privacy to persuade Charles; Charles was happy to avoid Eric. Amy and Genie had promised to take care of all the details. Genie would come to Charles' home on Friday morning to help him dress, put the fake finger nails on, and finally makeup. The week passed strangely for Charles. He avoided Eric. He had no desire to be angry with Eric, everything had worked out well on Sunday, but he was angry. After having been avoided for two days, Eric caught Charles on the way to the parking lot after school.