Chapter 1

"Claire! Wake up!"

The words jolt me from my well needed sleep. I raise up quickly from my bed to find my mother in my doorway.

"It's nearly eight thirty and you have to be at the diner by nine!" She shouts and looks down at her watch.

"Holy smokes! I'm gonna be late for work!" I shout as I jump out of my bed and nearly knock over my mother as I rush past her, grabbing my uniform.

In about ten minutes I've put on my uniform, which consists of what I like to call the "wretched" pink dress with some black flats and my medium length brown hair in a high ponytail. I was never much to put on a lot of makeup so that saved me enough time to get on the bus and be at work on time since the bus ride only lasted about fifteen minutes.

After arriving to the diner with two minutes to spare I manage to drink a quick couple of sips of coffee, put on my white apron, and clock in right at nine o'clock.

The diner isn't very big. It holds about eight booths and around seven bar seats. And right behind the bar is the kitchen which, at times, is very difficult to work with due to how busy it gets here during the day especially around lunch time.

As the small bell on the door rings, the first customer of the day walks in. An elderly man around seventy five, a regular in this diner of fifteen years. He's always the first customer to walk in.

"Good morning Mr. Walters! How are you today?" I say as he sits at his usual seat at the bar.

"I'm gettin' around Miss Claire. How about yourself?" He says as he takes his newsboy hat off.

"I've been good, actually! Been working a lot but I've been alright." I give him a smile.

"My grandson, William, would love a young woman such as you! He's in the Navy AND single, you know." He wiggles his eyebrows.

I giggle as I pull out my order pad from my apron's side pocket, "I don't know about that, now." I smile. "So what'll it be today?"

"I'll get the usual." He says.

"So that'll be two eggs over-easy with bacon, toast and coffee with a side of hash browns?"

"Yes ma'am! And do you mind handing me today's news while you're at it?"

"Sure! Coming right up!" I finish writing the order down on the pad and take it to the cook.

I hadn't realized the several other people that walked in while I was taking his order. As if on cue one of the other waitresses, Dot, walks in and starts taking a customer's order.

Dot, short for "Dorothy", has been working at the diner for about three years. She knows practically everyone that walks through the door. She has medium length, curly, blonde hair and really pretty blue eyes. Her stature is almost princess-like which compliments her thin, curvy figure. A looker for the guys, if you put it that way.

I've never really talked to her much other than during our shifts but she seems really nice, from what I can see at work. Then again, she has to be in front of the customers.

After giving Mr. Walters his coffee and newspaper I tend to a few of the other customers that have walked in.

"I'll have that out for you shortly." I say to the customer as I leave the their booth.

As I turn to walk back to the bar I am suddenly knocked off my feet after bumping into someone.

"I am so sorry I-" I am interrupted when I see a familiar curly haired boy with beautiful green eyes standing above me laughing.