Chapter 3

The following morning I wake up and go through my normal routine. Thoughts of last night pop into my head as I'm getting ready.

Yesterday was... eventful. I can't believe I hadn't realized just how strong my feelings really were for him.

He can't know. He can NEVER know. Not if you want to keep your friendship. 

I can't help but imagine the worst things when it comes to the thought of confessing my feelings to him.

He'd stop having anything to do with me, for sure. That can't happen. I refuse to let it go down that way.

-

As I arrive to the diner I see that Mr. Walters is sitting in one of the chairs next to the entrance with today's paper in his hand.

"Good morning, Mr. Walters. I see you're not sitting in your normal seat today." I greet him as I walk in. He looks up from the paper and smiles.

"I'm expecting a letter from my grandson today." He beams. "I ordered my regular to-go so I can get home before the postman makes it to my house." He explains.

"Well, that is wonderful!" I say as I make my way behind the bar to clock in.

Just as I finish clocking in, Marco sets a to-go box in the window connecting to the kitchen. "Order up for Walters." He announces.

I grab the plate and order ticket out of the window and set it on the bar as Mr. Walters makes his way up to the cash register.

"How much do I owe ya, miss Claire?" He asks me as he slowly pulls out his wallet from his back pocket. I put my hand up to stop his actions.

"Don't worry about it. It's on the house today." I tell him as I slide his plate toward him.

His eyes widen. "Oh! No no, I'll pay for it-"

"Mr. Walters, I insist." I say earnestly. "Now you run along home and get your letter, young man." I point my finger at him, trying to be as serious as possible before releasing the smile I was holding back.

"Ma'am, yes ma'am." He smiles and repositions his wallet and grabs his food.

Before walking away something catches his eye. He quickly looks back at me and smiles. "Since you won't let me pay, I might as well tip ya." The old man says as he drops a five dollar bill in the glass jar next to the cash register.

I smile and thank him as he walks out of the diner giving me a small wave as he passes the window.

Just as I turn to take the other customers' orders I spot someone peaking into one of the other windows. They swiftly walk away before I have a chance to see their face.

-

-

Sorry this chapter was a bit short. Gonna try and update more often. Hope you're liking it!
~Victoria xx