CHAPTER 8

Chapter 8

I showed Cooper Nina's video; not that it made a difference though. We now knew we were not dealing with a psychopath or a serial killer. Instead it was something much worse; something we could only see in our dreams of nightmares for that matter.

"Hey, you want to see Nina? She's been asking for you."

"She's awake?" I felt relieved knowing that my sister was alert enough to talk.

"There she is," I gushed, Nina's face was pale; her lips dry and cracked, dark circles hung around her eyes like storm clouds making them appear even larger, the whites of her eyes tinted with a hue of grey. She did not smile, just lay there rolled up in a ball.

"Neen's, Sam, Sam came to see you." Cooper coed, trying to get a response, yet she scarcely budged. I stood by her bedside stroking her hair, kissing her forehead like our mother would every time we would wake from a night terror.

"Neen's we ... Cooper and I need to talk to you about what happened."

"It doesn't matter anymore." She settled in a croaky voice, "It's too late, it's over."

"What? No, no it's not too late. Nina, listen to me. Hey little girl, it's not over, you hear me? I won't accept that, nothing and no one is going to hurt my little sister, not anymore." Nina's mental outlook shifted as soon as I spoke.

"You-You mean you believe me?" She asked as she pushed herself up. She seemed genuinely surprised.

"Off course I ... we believe you."

"W-Why?" She paused, "No one else does. They all think, I'm on something or crazy, why don't you?" I sat down beside her taking a deep breath before pulling her into a sisterly hug.

"Because we love you and because ... we're going to fix this Neen's, I promise." Never had I ever felt the sibling bond as strongly as right then, and never had I ever wanted to be right about something so much in my life. I wanted ... I needed to be right for her sake as well as my own. She was the only sister I had and nothing was going to take her from me, nothing.

"You're sister's right kido. We're going to fix this, but we need your help." Cooper strengthened my resolve.

"My help? What can I do?"

"Well, you could start by telling us what happened."

"Yeah, it seems we're at bit of a disadvantage here. Who, or what is this creepy little Charlie kid and why is he," Nina jumped,

"You-You saw him? S-So y-you played the game? No, no you shouldn't have now he's ... you're," The dam wall finally burst.

It took several minutes to get her to calm down again, Cooper and I both holding her tight.

"Ni, no Nina listen we didn't, Nina." I fought off her fears.

"Hey, Hey Nina," Cooper held her gaze, "You need to calm down and listen, okay?"

I had forgotten how persuasive Cooper could be, it was the eyes I could never resist those amber pools; it pulled you in made you feel calm ... safe. I can't remember how many times after I had left, I had wished that I could see those eyes, even if just for a second.

Nina melted as expected, bowing her head as if she felt shame.

"I-It was supposed to be asleep over, just Candy and me, you know before we both went off to college. B-But then she wanted to make it more exciting, s-so she suggested we invite Lee and Jamie over."