Chapter 10: Bed Buddies

Roshon was still extolling at himself even after the three of them had switched off most of the lights later that evening. He had won the last round of the UNO game, with Pelham coming second after losing a handful of rounds. Lucio was incredibly good at the game as well, but he had resolved to watch the two best friends play rather than playing it himself. Pelham had only won first place once, and that was only because he cheated - a flair he was rather qualified at - by hiding a couple of cards in his shirt. Roshon and Lucio had found out about it at the end of the game, where Pelham - after winning the first place - jumped up and cheered for himself, causing a bunch of cards to come slipping out of his shirt. They'd had a row then, but Pelham still won nonetheless. And throughout the entire game, Lucio had to keep an eye on him, in case he tried to cheat again.

Having had enough of the night, Roshon followed Pelham and Lucio into their room, still acclaiming his victory as though he had become the world's champion. To Pelham, it was normal for Roshon to become all braggart and crowing his achievement whenever he won something - after years of experience at playing video games with him, he had grown comparatively accustomed to his best friend's ongoing rants on how he would prove his proficiency to people by beating them at something. He made a mental note to inform Lucio about it before Roshon could get under Lucio's skin. 

But then Lucio seemed fine - he was even laughing at the two of them. It was as though they had been friends forever.

And Pelham found himself asking why they - himself and Roshon with Lucio -  hadn't hung out before this. It might make sense why, seeing as Lucio was a year below him. But the boy was relatively laid-back; not pompous, not big-headed, just cool. He had the good vibes radiating off him, which was an asset that Pelham looked for when it came to friends. He was again thankful that they were sharing the same cabin for the rest of the week. He silently thanked the snake for causing all of this. He liked Lucio already.

The thing was, Pelham just hardly ever come across someone as cordial and had that commitment vibe coming off them. He might not see or know, but he had complete faith in his instincts. And up to this point, the only person Pelham knew to ever fit those traits was Roshon. No matter how vexing Roshon can be - Pelham had so often asked how they became friends in the first place, for Roshon could be a prick sometimes - their friendship remained steadfast and intact. He hadn't exactly had the faintest idea why, but he had this relatively small hope in his gut that the same thing could happen when it came to Lucio. For some reason, he didn't want to leave this little circle of friends he had. He was hoping Lucio wasn't going to disregard him or Roshon completely once they went back to school after the camp.

He still hadn't gotten a clue on why he would hope that such thing would happen. It wasn't as though he wanted new friends everyday - he wasn't that eager. As a matter of fact, he had been contented enough with Roshon and April. Still, the only ever rational answer he could come out with was because of the vibes - always the vibes - that radiated off Lucio. It was something he couldn't quite name, but it was there.

"It's just a game card," Pelham deadpanned, who had plopped down on his bed while Lucio entered the bathroom.

"In case you hadn't noticed, dear mate, games tend to get more and more intense once you've delved deeper into the procedure,"

"I'm quite familiar with that term,"

"Good to know you've caught up, you nerd,"

"Speak for yourself," Pelham huffed. "Anyway, since you're so boastful, I'm gonna have to mother you: go to your room, it's almost bedtime. Scared to sleep alone? Or are you planning on sleeping here tonight? Like the three of us?"

"Man, how gay can we get?" Roshon laughed.

Pelham nearly tensed at that jest. But he was quick to cover it up before it was shown all over his face. After all, wasn't it common for straight guys nowadays to make gay-related jokes? A lot of times, he had always heard his classmates crack jokes to each other about it, and still be comfortable with the whole thing. Because they don't have to be worried about their sexuality, Pelham told himself, which was partly true. So, in response, he simply chuckled at Roshon's statement.