Chapter 20: Swollen Eye

A/N
Isn't Lucio lovely?

Happy new years, guys! I'm not exactly excited for 2017, and I hope I'm not alone xD I just wanna survive, that's all!

Previous votes and comments have made me happy, like seriously, I want to hug every single one of you. It feels as if you guys are more alive. And I love dedicating chapters to my readers sooooOOOooOO

Anyway, enjoy!

Pelham was able to breathe easier after telling the truth about himself to April. However, the tranquility didn't last; there were his parents and, of course, his best friend. Not that he was in a rush. As a matter of fact, Pelham thought he could ease off for a while and take things slow. At least, that was what April had adviced him to. And he trusted her. He had always taken her word for everything.

Pelham spent the weekend catching up with school assignments that had been given to him and talking to Roshon through Skype. Roshon only had a week left. If Pelham alone was missing a lot of lessons, his best friend was definitely going to have himself laboured. Pelham had already forewarned Roshon regarding the mountainous piles of works that had been assigned to them, so Roshon would at least have a heads-up. Roshon, however, never seemed to give a hoot, for he had been talking about a girl that he was starting to develop a small crush on for an hour. This led Pelham to talk about his relationship with April.

"Ask her out," Pelham suggested, popping a peppermint sweet into his mouth.

"No," said Roshon. "I'm not as good as you. You get along well with the ladies."

"I have charms,"

To which Roshon gave an exasperated look. "You and April may as well get married and leave school already,"

"Yeah, about that," Pelham sucked on the sweet, scrunching his face while doing so. He quite hated the taste. "We broke up."

"April Fools is not in another few months, Pel," Roshon said, then laughed. "Oh, April Fools. Damn, that's funny." Then when Pelham continued to look impassive, his laughter ebbed away. "You're serious."

Pelham nodded. If he was going to say it, now was the time.

However, Roshon got there first; "What, has the charm worn off after all those years?"

"Uh, yeah ... seems like it," Pelham said, trying to sound indifferent. "I don't want to be in an unjust relationship full of lies." It was, after all, the truth.

Roshon was refraining himself from laughing. "What now? Are you two going to be those typical ex-couple who avoid each other in the hallway?"

"No," Pelham scoffed. "We've agreed to stay friends." He smirked. "Best friends."

"How dare she," remarked Roshon, feigning offense.

"Yes, she does dare,"

"I hope she doesn't make offensive jokes about you because we both know I'm very good at that,"

"She already has and she's actually better than you,"

"You take that back, Pelham,"

"Okay,"

"So who's your company now that I'm gone?" Roshon asked offhandedly. "Oh, is that Alves boy still around?"

Pelham didn't know why his stomach constricted at the mere mention of the name. Per usual, he paid no heed to it. "I haven't seen him around," he shrugged, feeling guilty for some reason. "I've been sick, remember?"

"No, I don't remember,"

"You're a great friend."

"I know."