Phone Calls

Chapter Twenty

The phone rang twice before Zack picked it up, he didn't look at who the caller was.

"Hel-lo." Zach dodged a person that was walking past him and paused to pick up a newspaper that was being handed out.

"Zach-nav, it's me." Zach slowed down to a stop.

"Cate?"

"The one and only, listen, I don't have long and I wanted to tell you a few things."

"Where are you?"

"I don't know where I am, all I know is that I'm in a basement apartment and there is a small front garden and a lamp post outside where I am. Now for the most important bit, tell Sherlock my favourite number is 5412, 5-4-1-2; he wanted to know earlier and if he asks why it's so big, tell him it's because I wanted to be 'one of a kind' and have a random number as my favourite number. And before you ask, I am okay, a few bruises, maybe a broken leg, but apart from that, I'm fine," In the background, a 'time's up' could be heard, "Alright, alright. Zach, remember what I told you and go tell Sherlock now, he was really eager to know last -" The phone cut off. Zach began walking quickly before breaking into a sprint.

He arrived at 221 Baker Street panting ferociously. He knocked several times using the giant knocker, he could hear the sound of feet shuffling. The door began to open,

"Sherl- Oh hello Mrs Hudson, is Sherlock in?"

"He's upstairs dearie."

"Thank you." He squeezed past her in the corridor and bounded up the staircase and into Sherlock's apartment.

"What has Cate's captor sent this time?"

"Not Cate's captor, Cate herself. She called me around fifteen minutes ago."

"She called you and not me? That wasn't very wise."

"I don't think she had a choice, I've seen her phone book, she's only got five numbers on there: mine, Mrs Hudson's, John's and her two employers."

"Mrs Hudson and John still would have been better options."

"Not really, they wouldn't know that Cate was lying about her favourite number. Her favourite number is 38 due to some Chinese superstitions but she said to tell you her favourite number was 5,412."

"Why did she mention her favourite number?"

"She said to tell you her favourite number was 5, 412 and she said it was a big number because she wanted to be 'one of a kind' and have a random number. Are you even listening?" Sherlock was on his phone, seemingly not listening to Zach.

"Sure I am." Zach sighed, but carried on talking nonetheless.

"I was thinking that maybe they were co-ordinates to where she was?"

"That would be true if she was in the middle of the sea closer to Denmark."

"You knew that specific co-ordinate?"

"No, I used my phone. Did she say anything about her surroundings?"

"She said she was in a basement apartment, and she could only see a front garden and a lamp post."

"Lamp post. She's not as stupid as I thought."

"Lamp post? I don't follow."

"Of course you wouldn't. Off we go, time to pick up Cate and possibly John, no doubt she needs a doctor as soon as possible."

"She said she's got bruises and possibly a broken leg."

"Leg but not hands or arms, seems like I was correct." Sherlock grabbed his coat from behind the door.