Chapter 18

Harry's POV

Well, I knew that Draco wasn't mad at me. He had been completely normal all morning, making pancakes (or attempting to, at least) and watching Doctor Who and joking around. I still didn't know what he had been so upset about last night, but whatever it was, he seemed to have resolved it, or at least come to a conclusion. I didn't want to bring it up or cause a fight, so I sat quietly next to him as he watched the TV show.

Still, I was worried about him. What was making him so unhappy that he would shut himself in his room for an entire day and not say a word? Sure, he was fine now and looked happier than I had ever seen him, but what if something happened again? I just didn't want to loose him.

The next couple of months passed in a blur. Draco adapted to the muggle world easily, much better than when I had first become part of the Wizarding World. He was fascinated with how muggles had found ways to overcome their disadvantage of not having magic: lightbulbs instead of 'lumos', advanced weapons instead of any of the Unforgivable Curses, and medicine instead of just using a wand. His curiousity almost rivaled Mr. Weasley's. Some items he couldn't even begin to understand, and began to insist that a witch or wizard must have conjured it to help out the muggles.

By November the Christmas decorations had started appearing in shop windows and our neighbours' backyards. Draco insisted on getting fully into the holiday spirit and began to drag me along on various trips to stores so that we could stock up. His biggest struggle was choosing between the colourful lights and the plain white ones.

"Just choose one." I was sitting against a shelf full of red and green decorations as he examined two boxes of lights.

"Yeah, but which one?"

I shook my head. "Whatever one you like better."

"I don't know what I like better!"

Pulling myself to my feet, I stood next to him. "Well, let's do it this way. What don't you like about the colourful ones?"

He frowned, and then said, "There's too many colours that aren't very Christmassy, like the pink and blue and purple."

I smiled. "Okay, so what don't you like about the plain yellow ones?"

"There's not enough colour!" he groaned and ran his fingers through his hair.

I rolled my eyes, and pulled the boxes out of his hands. "Let's get them both, then. Come on, I don't want to be here forever."

Two weeks before Christmas, Draco finally seemed happy with the selections he had made. We had cut down a real tree and stuck it in the living room, beside the fireplace, and there were lights in every room: lining the stairway, the windows on our house, and every single doorway. His enthusiasm was infectious, though, and I found myself listening to the holiday songs over and over.

Draco had also mastered the art of baking cookies, and would make a new batch almost everyday: sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, almondy cookies with a thin layer of icing, and any other recipe he stumbled across. I usually was in charge of making hot chocolate while he put the fresh cookies on a plate, and then we would sit in front of the window and watch the snowflakes fall outside.

I hadn't been back to the Weasley's house since that day because I worried that someone would find out and would pester them with questions about my whereabouts. I also hadn't been in contact with any of my other friends: Hermione, Ron, Luna, and Neville. That meant that the only person I needed to get a gift for was Draco, and I was determined to make it a good one.

The problem was I had no idea what he would want. Nothing magical, of course, now that he was living in the muggle world and using all their technology and objects instead of magical ones. What, then? He had already got all the seasons of Doctor Who for himself and watched them a couple times over (he was really much too obsessed with the show).

I went shopping a couple times, hoping for some inspiration, but most of the items for sale were stuff that he would have no idea how to use: high-tech laptops and phones, footballs and other balls for sports that he had no knowledge of, and boring muggle tools like snow shovels. I always gave up about an hour into the shopping and went back home, disappointed.

Finally, about a week before Christmas, I struck gold. I had been wandering around for a couple hours, desperately looking for something, when I found a small shop tucked away. It was dimly lit and filled with all kinds of trinkets and small items. I was browsing through the store absentmindedly when a flash of green caught my eye. I pushed a pair of wooden bookends out of the way, and there it was, hanging on a wooden hook: a miniature dragon, golden and silver with an emerald eye that winked in the light. It was strung onto a silver chain.

I picked it up and took it to the cash register. The woman manning the stand was old, wrinkles lining her eyes and forehead and had thinning white hair. She smiled at me as I approached, and took the necklace from my hands.

She checked the price and ran it through the machine before handing it back to me. "I've always liked that one. I'll knock 50% off, for your great taste." She winked.

I thanked her, and left the store, triumphant. As I was walking away, I noticed another store. It was a sporting goods store, and it was full of equipment for winter sports: skiis, sleds, helmets, hockey sticks and pucks. It was the skates that caught my attention this time. Draco didn't know how to skate, but I figured that it would be a great time for him to learn: his first muggle Christmas.

I knew his shoe size from when we had gone shopping a couple months ago, so I was able to pick out the right size easily. I paid for the skates and located an empty spot to apparate straight back to my bedroom. I had picked out the wrapping paper a couple weeks ago, so I wrapped them quickly and then hid them under my bed.

This was going to be an amazing Christmas.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! This one took a while to update (pretty bad writer's block), but I have the next chapter ready so if I get enough votes/comments I'll post it soon!

You can probably tell that I'm getting really excited for Christmas. :) My family is coming over and I get to see my cousin again and agh I'm just really happy.

Anyways, please vote and comment! It makes me very happy. :) Or you can message me privately.

Raven