Chapter 20

Harry's POV

Draco moved around the kitchen, opening various drawers and searching through our utensils. "Do you want some hot chocolate?"

I nodded, watching him move around. The December wind had whipped around his face during our walk, and it gave him rosy red cheeks. The green-and-red knitted sweater he was wearing only emphasized the colour and his blond hair was in disarray, the strands sticking up and falling into his eyes as he knelt in our kitchen and searched for our hot chocolate mix. Altogether, he looked like a cute little ruffled-up kitten.

"We didn't run out, did we?"

I shook my head and answered. "Uh, I don't think so. Did you try the cupboard next to the fridge?"

He pulled himself to his feet and opened it. As he was rummaging around for the mix, I tried to make sense of our walk. It was definitely Draco who had initiated the kiss, right? I was worried that it had been me and I was forcing my feelings on to him, but he had been the one to point out the mistletoe in the first place.

"So, uh, how long did you know?"

He smiled as he pulled out the box of hot chocolate and turned away as he pulled two packets out. "Know what?"

"That you were gay. Or bi."

He shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe fourth year? I mean, I had kind of been attracted to guys forever but I never really thought about it until I was fourteen."

"And you never thought to tell me when we became friends?"

"Not really the most important thing, is it? And when I knew that you liked me I didn't want to lead you on or anything."

"And now?"

"Well, I figured out that I felt the same a couple of months ago and I finally told you today."

"Wait, hold up." I rubbed my forehead. "Months? Why did you just tell me today?"

He frowned. "I don't know, I guess it just never seemed like the right time to tell you."

When the hot chocolate was done, he passed me a mug and I wrapped my hands around the warm cup. He turned towards our radio and found a clear station, which was playing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas."

We sat by the window and watched the snow falling in flakes outside, blanketing the lawn and sticking to the window. After a while, he turned to me. "So what are you thinking?"

I stared through the glass at the colourful decorations we had strung on the tree weeks before. To be honest, I hadn't been thinking about anything at all, just enjoying the silence and the fact that it was Christmas, and I was with Draco.

"Well, we both like each other." I said slowly, not quite being able to meet his eyes. I settled for trailing my index finger along his pinkie finger, slowly bringing my eyes up to meet his. "So should we try, uh, dating?"

I wasn't sure what his response to this would be. I hadn't had any real dating experience, except with Ginny, who didn't exactly count, because I wasn't really in love with her. But I wanted this to go well.

His bold eyes twinkled with happiness. "That would be great." He grinned, and I sank back into the couch, relieved.

We didn't break eye contact. His red cheeks were beginning to fade now that he was warming up, and I was struck with the sudden urge to kiss him.

From now on, all your troubles will be miles away...

He had the same expression as he had in the park, just before our first kiss, and this time it was me that leaned forward.