Thirty Five

I couldn't stand it

I couldn't stand it. Just sitting there, while trying not to awkwardly fidget was difficult. I hadn't planned to be in the situation that I currently was under. I hadn't planned for it to go this way.

I didn't know she was going to be there. Mother was home today and today seemed like one of her worst days because she just wouldn't shut up.

Delaney, why aren't you preparing yourself for college?

Get out of your bedroom, already...it's like you hibernate in there.

Stop eating those chips, you're gaining weight...some exercise and a diet could do you good. 

After her last comment, I had swiftly stood up and walked out the house with my purse when Adelena texted me that she would pick me up in twenty minutes. I couldn't stand mother talking to one of the few people I actually liked, so I replied that she could pick me up from Niall's while sending his address right after she agreed.

Now, as I sat on the couch across from Niall and his vixen, I wondered if it would've been a better idea to just let Adelena pick me up from there. I knew by the glare that was and has been directed towards me for the last ten minutes since I've been here, she probably had figured out about the pictures I had taken away from her drawer the week before but then again, why would even she suspect me? To her, I don't know her place or her address.

If only she knew.

I couldn't say that she was glaring at me for that reason, but I was pretty sure she disliked me greatly.

The tense silence in the room only grew when Niall cleared his throat, "I'm going to get something to eat. Delaney, you can stay here for as long as you want"

I wanted to scream stay here until my throat burned and my lungs felt like they would collapse when he stood up and walked towards the kitchen but I pursed my lips and swallowed down the lump in my throat instead.

"So, Delaney...any boys in your life?" Lauren's raspy voice directed my attention towards her rather than the kitchen door Niall had disappeared behind minutes ago. 

"Nope, haven't found anyone that caught my eye" I lied smoothly, straightening my spine as if her words didn't bring back many, many memories.

"Oh...that's a shame. There's a lot you're missing out on. I mean hanging around with Niall isn't exactly helping your case" My eyebrows furrowed, my bottom lip being captured between my teeth as I tried to find some kind of mockery or emotion in her eyes. But I found nothing. Her face remained stolid and her eyes remained distant with those dark crystalline eyes glowering back at me.

"Well, I'm not exactly looking for someone. I don't like relationships, they're confusing" Was all I simply replied with.

"So you've never been in a relationship. Not even one? Even if it was something short and...deceitful even when you were in deep" And that's when I heard something. I heard the duplicitous emotion of derision underlying her words.