Chapter 12

Here's a short update. I'm sooo sorry for the wait, I've been super busy and I had a small case of writer's block for this story. But here you go, and there'll be more to come shortly!!!

Chapter 12

William and Lillian were waiting outside of the speakeasy. William seemed calm, but Lillian’s nerves were getting to her. Her whole body was pumping with adrenaline, but since they weren’t moving, there was nothing for the adrenaline to do.

“Lily, will you stop moving? You’re making us look like a bunch of amateurs,” William asked mildly.

Lillian stopped in her tracks. “Sorry,” she murmured.

“’s alright, Lily. But what’s gotten into you? You were ready for this at your house? What changed?”

Lillian thought for a moment. “I guess it’s the fact that I’m here. There’s a man in there that may have the missing information about my parents’ death. Plus there’s always the fact that this whole thing is illegal.”

At first, William thought that Lillian was being serious, but then he saw that she had cracked a smile. “Well, if anything happens, I’m here for you.”

“I know that, Willy. Thank you,” she said simply. There was a silence following this.

“Oh, one thing: give me your wedding ring,” he said suddenly.

Lillian turned to face William, stunned. “What? Why do you need my ring?”

“Give it to me. I’ll take care of it for you. You can’t walk in there with that huge rock on your hand. Nobody will buy it. You’re supposed to be a young and single woman. That rock will say otherwise.”

Lillian thought about William’s argument. She silently admitted that he was right. She then took her right hand to her fourth finger on her left hand and took the ring off. “Here,” she murmured, handing her friend the ring.

William slipped the ring in his jacket pocket. “Thanks,” he said.

Lillian smiled genuinely. She was about to say something, but a voice behind her yelled, “Next!” Lillian realized that it was the person taking the password. She moved aside so William could tell the man the correct phrase that would allow them to enter.

A moment later, William and Lillian were walking side by side into the speakeasy, together.