Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Christine scrambled back down the stairs. William and Lillian chased after her. William was shouting things to her, telling her to wait a moment.

Christine was at the door, right hand on the knob when she turned around to look at the two for the first time. “I came over here to see if everything was okay. The maid lets me walk up to her room and that’s where I see you and her kissing. She’s in her bathrobe and I can only begin to imagine what sort of things you were doing in there.”

“Christine, you don’t understand…”

“I don’t need to understand. I just know what I saw. You and this whore were kissing in her room. This whore is wearing a bathrobe and I am assuming that she isn’t wearing much else,” she chided as she glared at both William and Lillian.

“Christine, please. Let me explain.”

“I already told you this. You don’t need to explain.”

“Yes, yes I do.”

Christine let go of the doorknob and took a step closer to William. “I told you that you don’t. I can see things, William. I am not blind. Things started to change between us when she came into town because of her grandmother’s passing. Then you hired the guy to do some recon about something that has to do with her.” Christine paused, looking at William’s face. “What I want to know is why you continued our engagement when you have feelings for someone else.”

William took a deep breath and glanced at Lillian before answering Christine. “Can I talk to you alone outside?” Christine nodded opened the front door and went outside with him.

Without Lillian.

As Lillian watched William leave with Christine, she could almost feel her heart breaking. She had just told him how she felt, and he was back with his girlfriend. Exasperated, Lillian walked up the stairs and back into her bedroom to get dressed.

Once she was dressed in a modest green dress, she brushed her long, black hair. When she was slightly satisfied, she left her bedroom and walked down the stairs. But before leaving, she grabbed the divorce papers, since Joseph’s lawyer should be at the house at any moment.

When she got down the stairs, she saw William standing at the door, waiting for her.

“Shouldn’t you be with your fiancée,” Lillian scolded.

“Christine and I just ended things.”

“Oh, well I’m sorry your engagement ended.”

“Lillian…”

“What?”

“Don’t be like that with me.”

“And how exactly am I being with you?”

“Well for starters, you aren’t looking in my eyes.”

Lillian raised her eyes and looked into William’s. “How do you exactly want me react? Your fiancée came in and saw us kissing. The best part was that I was dressed in my bathrobe after my husband raped me. Maybe I really am a whore like Joseph told me that I was.”

“You aren’t a whore, Lily. You’re the woman I love. When I came into your room, you were a mess. Then I fell asleep and we woke up and I told you that I love you. You told me that you loved me too. Has that fact changed within fifteen minutes? Do you not love me?”

“Well, no- it hasn’t changed.”

“Then please, give me a chance. I love you so much, Lillian. I always have.”

“If you’ve loved me for so long, then why didn’t you tell me about Christine?”

“I was trying to keep my life with her separate from me helping you find Jonathon Lexly. I wanted to keep you to myself.” William paused and took a step closer to Lillian. “I love you so much Lillian, please know that. Please remember that. I didn’t want to hurt you.”

“You did. I thought you were leaving with her.”

“I just said that I wanted to talk to her outside. I was going to be right back.”

“But you emphasized that you wanted to talk to her alone. It was like you had to tell her something that you didn’t trust me enough for.”

“I was telling her that I couldn’t marry her when I love someone else. She said that she knew about it and then she left. When I came in you weren’t down here, so I was just waiting.”

“Oh,” Lillian muttered.

William reached out and put his hands around her neck, stroking her jaw with his thumbs. “I would never hurt you if I could help it. Please believe it.”

“I love you Willy.”

William smiled. “I love you too.”

He then placed his lips on hers. William let his tongue out of his mouth and prodded Lillian’s lips for entrance. Lillian let him in and felt William’s smile on her own lips.

Lillian and William remained kissing until someone behind them cleared their throat. The two broke away from their kiss and noticed that it was Lillian’s maid.

“Excuse me Mistress, but Mr. Joseph Clark’s lawyer is here to see you. He tells me that you should be expecting him.”

“Yes, please send him in,” Lillian said before turning back to William.

“For the divorce papers,” William quizzed and Lillian nodded. William wrapped his arms around Lillian’s back and started rubbing her lower back. “It’ll be okay.”

Lillian nodded and looked in his eyes. “I know it will.”

Then, the lawyer came into the parlor.

“I am Mr. Stephen Wilkes, Mr. Clark’s attorney. Mr. Clark told me that he left you with the divorce papers? May I have them?” Lillian handed the papers to the lawyer and he scanned them over. “Mr. Clark told me that he will be taking possession of mostly everything inside your house. There are some things, such as a necklace or photo that will be given to you. Is that alright?”

“That’s quite generous of him,” Lillian murmured.

“Yes well, Mr. Clark has told me that only certain things will be allowed to go back into your possession. These things will be sent here on Friday. You should get them in the mail by this coming Tuesday.”

“Okay.”

“Well, I said what I have to say. If there isn’t anything that you need, I’ll be leaving.”

“Alright, then. Have safe travels,” Lillian wished before the lawyer left.

“So, how are you feeling with this, Lily,” William quizzed.

Lillian shrugged her shoulders. “I’m feeling kind of relieved. He beat me and raped me and told me he never loved me. I know there’s more than that to life.” She moved her hand and stroked William’s face. “There are people in my life who are better for me.”

William smiled. “So, what would you like to do today?”

“Why rush? We have forever to be together?”

Lillian then let go of William and walked out of the room. As she was walking, William check out her backside.

“Whoa, wait for me Lily!”

I am sooo sorry for the delay! I was just caught up with one of my other stories!