Unforgettable Mornings

The tides buried me deeper making it harder to breathe, the sudden surge of water in my mouth made me feel claustrophobic. I tried to reach the surface but it looked like with every try I would sink deeper. I felt my soul starting to drift away, leaving my body in the darkness of the dark blue sea.

I woke up in my room blinded with sunlight. My body soaked in sweat and my clothes twisted around my body tightly. This was not the first time I had woken up from enigmatic dreams full of water. I stood up trying to focus, but stumbled from my bed to the ground. Just then I heard someone gently tapping on the door, managing to barely make a sound.

"Come in" I responded, I sat up on my bed and stretched, feeling the soreness of my muscles. The clothing maids came in to get my soiled clothes and give me my washed and ironed dresses.

Even though I was brought up in a noble household, I never got used to the idea of maids picking up my linens and leftovers, every single time I had to repress the urge to offer help or to start a conversation. Bonding with maids was risky; I knew this because leaving my maid at home and coming to the castle had caused both of us pain. Sophia was not only a maid but also a dear friend and moving to the king's palace meant leaving her. Now as I gazed at the maids' faces I reminded myself of Sophia and refrained from forging any kind of friendship.

"Do you need anything else Lady Adelina" one of them asked very politely. "Yes could you deliver these dresses to the Bathhouse, I will be going there shortly", trailing memories of Sophia lingered as I tried to steer myself to present matters.

"As you please." They took their bags, mumbled good wishes and closed the door.

As the door closed, I looked at my image in the mirror and frowned. Taking three deep breaths, I calmed my nerves by reading old letters from home. I did this whenever I woke up with nightmarish dreams and it helped in bringing a smile back into my day. I fixed my black hair into a braid and washed my face in the basin. When I looked up my violet eyes sparkled and my skin glowed. Even with all my effort to calm my curls little wisps of hair escaped framing my face. I changed from my nightdress to one more appropriate for walking, grabbed a book to read on my walk and finally left my chamber to embrace the morning. The smell of fresh bread from the kitchens mixed in with the chirping of the birds was a happy welcome to the start of my day.

The morning was unusually quiet and peaceful; the bathhouse was just around the corner but I slowed my pace to savor the feel of the cool morning air.

I was so lost in the book that I didn't even realize that I had crossed the inner castle and trespassed into the outer training grounds where the royal generals and officials resided. I panicked, having never been welcome or familiar with this part of the castle, I felt as if I was walking blindfolded. I didn't even know which way I came or where. I was headed. As a a group of men approached me I tried to take a separate path to avoid further embarrassment of having to explain my current situation. The tallest one broke away from the pack and came towards me. He had perfect black tousled hair, and green eyes resembling a dark jungle, a jungle where anyone would be happily lost. His tall and strong body was dressed in royal clothes and he obviously was of some rank. As if sensing my difficulty he looked my way, and our eyes met. I suddenly felt self-conscious, feeling my face grow hot. This triggered some emotion in the man and he smiled. His dimpled smile made me stumble deepening my already present blush. He walked toward me and as he got closer I resisted the urge to turn and dash the opposite way. Don't embarrass yourself, I kept mentally reciting as I looked at the man.

"Should I ask how you wandered into this part of the castle, or shall I assume the book was to blame," the man's voice reminded me of sweet honey, and the feel of the first flower that blooms in the spring.