Sleepless Nights

I opened my eyes to find myself in a dark chamber. My head was throbbing and when I touched it I felt a bandage. A small fire was the only light but even with low lighting I could discern that I was still in the palace. A jug on the nightstand was filled with water. I sat upright and poured myself a glass when the door opened and Deidre walked in.

"You're awake! Thank goodness I was so worried about you! We almost lost you and you were bleeding and if Aiden hadn't seen you then..."

Deidre was rambling and if I wanted to understand anything I would have to slow her down.

"Slow down and take a deep breath. Then tell me everything that happened after I hit my head on the ground." I took Deidre's hand and pulled down next to me.

"I was keeping an eye out for you ever since we found out we were going to be targets tonight. As soon as I saw you retreat to the patio I was about to follow you out there when I saw Aiden come after you. When I made my way there Aiden was carrying you in his arms and bringing you back to the castle. What happened out there Adelina? How did you injure yourself so?"

I didn't know how to answer my friend because I needed answers myself. Why had I been kidnapped? Who was that stranger that had grabbed me with so cruelty?

"I don't really know what happened, I was standing outside getting a breath of fresh air when I was grabbed and hauled by a big muscular man. He pulled my hair and before I had a chance to scream or struggle he banged my head on the ground. The next thing I know I wake up in this room. Where am I exactly?" I eyed the room trying to figure which part of the castle I was in but failing to figure it out.

"You're in a hidden chamber of the infirmary so you could be kept away from whomever is after you. After finding you hurt Aiden brought you here. You have been unconscious for a day. I am so glad you are awake and talking."

I hugged my friend glad I was awake and alive as well. "Deidre can you please escort me to my room? I long to sleep in my bed."

Together we huddled over to royal wing of the castle. When I was settled in I hugged my friend goodbye, and went right back into my slumber.

I heard knock and woke up startled. The pain making my head spin. It was the dead of the night so the knock was right to startle me. It was likely Deidre or Sapphire coming to check on me so I didn't bother putting on a shawl over my nightdress and walked over to open the door.

As I opened the door it wasn't Deidre's gray eyes staring back at me but piercing green ones.

"Adelina, how are you feeling? I apologize for not preventing this" he whispered as his hands roamed over my face checking my wound. I immediately realized that all that stood between Aiden and me was my silk nightdress. This was highly improper but instead of stepping back or shutting the door I breathed "Thank you for saving my life."

"Oh I was so worried. I was worried you might never wake up." His hand cupped my chin up and I noticed the unshed tears of worry in his eyes. One escaped his left eye and broke my heart. I raised my hand to brush it off and my movement only brought us closer together. If I hadn't been to the brink of death I would be appalled at our closeness. I don't know whether it was my hand on his cheek or his arm on my waist but he bent his face toward me and I raised mine.

            It was the briefest of kisses but enough to snap us back into reality. I stepped back and asked the question that had been plaguing me ever since I overheard the conversation between the king and queen.

"What happened to me yesterday? Who was that man? I don't understand any of this." I whispered finally wanting answers.

            "The king received a warning from the lightkeeper. He said that he had seen a vision of the others coming for the marked daughter of Iris in one-month time. Since that fell on the same day I returned they were worried for the four of you being in danger tonight. Along with my sister you and your friends qualify as being the royal daughters of Iris. But it turns out Adelina that you are the marked one."