Uneasy Afternoons

I woke up startled, the two weeks had passed by in a blink, and tomorrow was finally the day of the festival. I quickly headed to the dining hall for the morning meal and spotted Camilla sitting next to Sapphire. I joined them and mentally sorted out the activities of the day in my mind. Deidre joined and we ate our meal in silence.

I was supposed to go to the seamstress with Camilla and collect my dress. Sapphire and Camilla bustled with excitement as they usually did whenever dresses were made. As they treaded ahead, Deidre and I walked at a slower pace. We were all heading to the southern end of the royal building where the seamstress and tailors resided. Aria was their seamstress and was appointed for their royal clothes.

Deidre and I had never been too eager for clothes and had always been satisfied with whatever we had, choosing the simplest designs. Deidre's hair was a deep brown and her eyes shone like the sky on a fierce rainy day. I had always admired her deep gray eyes and wondered what myths it held. Sometimes I saw Deidre's personality as mirror of myself, but her knowing mind had seen far worse than me.

We walked together in silence, and finally it was her voice that broke the silence.

"Still thinking about the Prince? This is such good news, a dashing man like the Prince liking our beautiful Adelina. Who would have known? I don't understand why you are keeping your acquaintance with the Prince a mere secret. I know you don't want me to ask you, but you can trust me Adelina."

"There is nothing between me and Aidan, Deidre. We have barely seen each other in the past few weeks and only fleetingly. I think you must be mistaken." Even as I said this, it crushed me that I hadn't spoken to him since the announcement of the festival.

We continued in silence and Deidre dropped the argument. We reached the building and entered through the gates. The maids directed us to the tailors' room saying that Aria was making the final changes on our dresses. Camilla and Sapphire gave squeal of laughter while Deidre and I exchanged glances and kept walking.

"Ah, my beautiful princess, how you will be surprised when you see your dress! And how could I forget you three wonderful girls, oh I can't wait to watch your faces when I show you the magnificent dresses" Aria said gleefully.

We followed her to the tailors as she took each dress carefully from the tailors' skilled hands. The dresses were wrapped in cloth, so nothing was revealed to us as she handed each of us a dress.

"Now off with you, go to the trial room to try the dress. Come back to show me if I need to make any changes."

"I will go first" came out Sapphire's quick reply. She rose from my sight and carried the dress with such carefulness as if she was holding a newborn babe. I watched as she ran from the room in her too obvious delight.

As she tried on her dress, I stared at my own wrapped dress wondering what lay beneath the covers. I imagined Aidan gliding me on the dance floor, saw me smiling at him and enjoying myself.

"Here I am!" Sapphire burst through the doors.

I broke from my reverie and settled on reality. I watched as Sapphire twirled in her crystal blue dress. She looked like a magnificent star, twinkling and spreading its radiance. She looked absolutely perfect; her broad smile seemed to last forever. A mask covered half of her face making her look both magical and mythical.

Everyone praised her including the tailors and Aria, saying how beautifully the dress embodied her body. Next Camilla headed to try on her dress. After that Deidre followed, both ladies coming out as beautifully dressed as only a faerie could ever look, their mask hid their face and made them all the more beautiful.