III

Tear stains ran down Mary's face as she listened to what Remus said to her.

"The relationship isn't working"
"I don't feel a connection anymore"
"I hope we can remain friends"
"I'm sorry"

Short gasps of air escaped her chest in waves. This boy she had fallen in love with was leaving her. She couldn't even blame him. She was a good friend but nowhere near a good girlfriend. For God's sake she had cheated on him, on numerous occasions.

"Rem, you don't need to be sorry, goodbye," Mary twirled on her heel and vacated the premises with her last thread of dignity.

When she had left the room is when Remus finally collapsed. He regretted hurting her, but he couldn't hurt himself any longer. He deserved better than constantly being second in a relationship, he wanted an equal.

Remus grabbed his keys from the hook by the front door of his flat and the leash hanging next to it. When the high pitched whistle left his lips he was tackled to the ground by Snuffles, Sirius' dog.

'of course all I need is the fresh air'

Remus walked through the grounds surrounding the school, hoping to get his mind off the ruins of his past relationship. He let Snuffles off his leash and through a stick watching it sail near the lake. Narrowly missing a stunning girl's camera. He involuntarily winced as he watched her duck Snuffles.

He took this moment to observe her as she watched his dog. The wind caused her strawberry locks to flow freely through the air. His eyes trailed down to her face and he swore his heart skipped a beat. Her hazel eyes gleamed with a sort of laughter that Remus used to have. A happiness that had been taken away from him.

The boys green eyes skimmed over her slight nose to her pink lips, she nibbled on her lower lip causing it to glow a light red when she released it from her pearly teeth. She rose a hand and snapped a photo of Snuffles as he bounded through the murky lake.

Remus felt like the girls outfit described her, from paint splattered overalls to the light yellow top with a cartoon cactus on it. Her gold glitter converse shown in the light as of the sun was trying to match the color. Her cheeks were tinted pink from the happiness of the day. She looked like art and he felt like he needed to capture this moment forever in his mind.

The stunning girl turned to face him as Snuffles finally returned, from the corner of his eye he witnessed her raise her camera to face him. His phone vibrated against his leg. James' name shown across the screen.

''dude get back to the apartment right now''

Remus slung his bag over himself as he whistled for his lug of a dog. Hopes of speaking with the girl diminishing as he raced home in fear of trouble.