Dreaming of Roses

Type: Descriptive Essay (Kinda like a short story though)

The sunset at first sight was as beautiful as the wonderful color of roses indeed. As the shine of the setting sun glowed red-orange, its glimmering core dug deeper into the endless queue of the waters far beyond my reach. Its fiery aura waved farewell as it buried itself deeper beneath the horizon, sinking in front of my eyes. Its brightness imminently fading as well, along with the embodiment of the sun. As I sat there on the shore with my eyes surveying the view, the nuzzling of the wind blew against me. The sound of its quiet murmur and breathing whispered through my ears. I shifted my hands a bit and felt the brush of the sand as I sway them comfortably, enjoying the feeling of its touch. The scent of the wide ocean intrigued me, accompanied by the sweet aroma of the melting sea breeze. The gracious flapping of the flocks of birds above blended with the rattling of the sea waves as it slowly ceased and calmed itself.

Forsooth, the sight was impeccably overwhelming. Eligible enough to persuade me to deem that I have not yet fully discovered the hidden mysteries of this decent world. Indeed, it never failed to astonish me. As I continue to admire the dramatic departure of the sun, my body faltered and I laid unto the surface of the shore with the rustling sound of the vagrant wind changing its direction. The view of the sky from below as I stared upon it was intimidating without the scenario of the sun setting down in the background, but concurrently it was magnificent.

As time goes by, the firmament remained perfectly still in its reddish color. The slight whistle of the wind echoed past me in its own melody as it soothes the deepest part of my soul. In response, my eyes closed and my mind began to wonder. The red shade of the sunset as it is today reminded me of something, but inscrutable. As my thoughts scrolled through my memories to gain what my mind was telling me I was triggered with impatience. The dotted lines stuck within my head remained unsolved, but in the midst of failing I finally found the missing piece. I remembered now that the entity I was searching for was no other than roses. As the word "Rose" grumbled through my head, my consciousness began to fade. The glamorous nature that surrounds me blurred as I slowly fell into my subconscious world.

It was dark, just an empty void of silence. I stood nowhere with the darkness staring at me with bloodlust. Harshly, a blast of light flashed in front of me and I was blinded. I fell unto the ground unseen and unspeakably. Slowly, I opened my eyes and was captured by what I saw. The mesmerizing sight of roses settled before me. My eyesight had recovered sooner than my fingers have counted. Now the pain became futile as the scent of the mist of roses altered with my senses. I froze as the feeling of the wind's touch blew around me again. I stared thoroughly and was attracted by one particular rose that stood swiftly among the flowerbed. It was different from the others. It was more fragrant and beautiful. You can smell its addictive scent in the air hundreds of miles away. I should have known from the beginning that there's something merely odd with this flower. How it quickly attracted my being into control and how it differed from the others like a black sheep. It controlled every part of myself, and I did not restrain.

I took a step forward, deeply hypnotized by its appearance. The corona of its remarkable glowing petals flickered as it dances with the wind. The sweet yet brackish taste of the roses' pollen grains struggled against the blow of the quiet breeze as it carried them away. As I took another step, the wind's harsh blow moved passed every movement I create. The temptation grew far stronger as I imagined the rose before me lurking its way towards myself, but it was just another trick of its spell. As I got closer and closer towards where it stood, the pull of its gravity grew stronger as well as the intensifying call of the wind's chanting. Hesitantly, I took one final step and came into a crouch, finally seeing its true form right before my eyes.

Emblazed with beauty and adorned by perfection, I reached for its prickled stem as it uttered quietly through my ears. As far as my eyes could see, it did not distinguish the detriment that the rose bears as it stayed unnoticed by my sight. However, I reached for it without hesitation, but I quickly moved away as I felt a sharp pain rush through my hand. I glanced at my hand to see a small inferior cut on my finger. I diverted my attention towards the rose again and there I've finally noticed the thorns it held. It's deceiving spell was too powerful that it fooled even my keenest of sense. Now I understand why it grew different from the others. Perhaps it was perfectly beautiful indeed, that I did not saw the beast that it hid inside its shadows. I was fooled, deceived, and my life has been in ruins ever since its arrival.

Suddenly, the mist that surrounds me goes dark. Slowly, one by one, the rose's blooming petals fell onto the ground. As it perished in front of my sight, I stood there in the distance without a worry or a care. I counted every fallen petals it drops, like tiny drops of blood. The once cherished flower turned into a dying entity, draining with no hope for survival. The wind's chanting calmed, and was replaced with an harmony of undeniable sorrow. This is unbearable, and it was unforgiving. As it stood there crying for help, I remained untouchable. The scent did not deceive me no more, and I dare not to fall into its tricks gain. Lastly, the final petal fell onto the ground and the rose stood there lifeless, leaving only the stem that reveals its notorious thorns. I am now given the reality of its dark side. The monster that was hidden inside its being began to show itself. The shadow grew darker and larger by every passing second, but then the stem disappeared into thin air, burning into tiny pieces. The cloud of darkness disappeared as well. Meanwhile, the scattered fragments of the burnt parts of the stem blew with the wind's sorrowful chanting, then silence filled every corner of the realm.

Unsurprisingly, light flickered and my vision was now regained. The color of black was no more giving insights of the emptiness that surrounds. Instead, the view before me changed itself. A new plant began to grow from where the mark of the beast was buried. My expectation was wrong. The rose did not die, but it was given a chance. It started anew, its wrongs now seen and forgiven. Now I have learned that forgiveness will always be the first that should find itself under the choices that will strike whenever the beast settled again. I was enlightened. I wasn't fooled anymore. My soul began to grew lighter as to what my eyes had perceived. The newborn rose waved hello, and I waved back. I am now secured, the twinkling glimpse of hope shining before me.

The monster will no longer be seen again, for I have now destroyed it and replaced it with love. I've taught it to grow and prosper for the greater good, and not for the purpose of evil that could destroy a person's dream. Now light and hope were abundant in all that filled the air. The mist of the wind that surrounded me sang happily and jubilant. I felt its touch brush through my skin and the scent of the fresh air became outstanding indeed.

Suddenly, my breathing relaxed, the wind stopped, and the scent disappeared. My senses were suddenly dull, and in a blink of an eye I regained consciousness from my subconscious world. I opened my eyes to see that I am still at home in my bed. The touch of the cotton-made cover of my bed was soothing. The smell of my room and the breeze coming from my open window. Home sweet home indeed.

I looked back to the events that took place in my subconscious world. I did not complain nor was surprised for I knew what I have seen. There was nothing to worry anymore. Since that day I have learned to forgive easily, and I have learned to live with it. I am what I am now, and I think what I think. Now whenever the rose dies, I always come to bring it back to life. In the midst of it all, from the grave, it rises with caution. It rises with a new life. Acquaintanceship and friendship started anew. It was now forgiven.