The Elements

Type: Short Story
Genre: Fantasy

It all began... with a roar. The universe was filled with life at once, superseding the dead silence. The lonesome darkness was stroked with light, and so there was the scattering of a billion suns. Worlds were forged by great entities, and there was the rattling of the universe itself.

In the end of the creation, rulers emerged from every corners of the universe, wandering far beyond its coreless plains. They began to preside worlds for themselves, therefore filling it's lands with their masterpiece. And in the time of the living, humans call them "Gods".

On a world of lifeless dimensions, dwelled by cold darkness, a god settled on it's surface. Obexus, the God of Elements, chose a world of ruins. Unseen and one handedly, he created the elements, turning hideous sites into a world of wonders. Emblazed by colorful crafts, the world was called "Earth".

Upon seeing greatness in this creation, Obexus created guardians for each elements. Each was formed from the element of which they would nurture, granting them powers from the element they keep. They resemble the element itself, symbolizing life to each, and dividing elements into realms. They were merely humans with inconceivable powers, but immortals, and so they were imperishable and undying.

Obexus then filled the Earth with humans, and they abided the Earth, but unlike the guardians, they were mortals. So there was the beginning of life, but like all living creatures, there was an end. Adorned by beauty and perfection, creatures of each kind presided in Earth, and all was in peace.

The guardians were well-known, history itself was written with their existence. Humans around the world esteem their extraordinary power, but an occurrence befalled that would alter history and their own existence. Lepros, the Guardian of Darkness, desired for himself to conquer the elements. So he demanded Obexus, his own creator, to bestow him control over the elements. Obexus himself, saw hatred and wrath in Lepros' eyes, and so he withhold his request.

With undeniable rage, Lepros called upon shadows from the darkness and a war betide across Earth. Dark creatures began to crawl the world, and Lepros had became a god himself, that even Obexus can't overcome.

His own creation, turned into a superior beast. Countless lives were taken. Darkness had consumed the Earth, and fear spread throughout the ruined plains of its remains. Violence, brutality, and bloodlust roamed around the world like living creatures, waiting for its victim. Even the guardians, Lepros' own brothers and sisters, had no match against him.

When all seemed to be in imminent defeat, Obexus plotted another plan, an intrigue to stop Lepros for all eternity. So he created another world of his own, a world that can only be seen by his own eyes. A world that was unbounded from the universe, so empty and vast that it was looked upon as its twin.

It was far beyond from any creature's reach, mortal or immortal. It was merely invisible to the naked eyes, and it can only be found through another dimension. Indeed, it was intended as a prison, a dark chamber with no walls and end. The only hope for Lepros to be stopped. He has to be trapped inside. But it's portal, however, demands a key to be locked.

To cinch it's confidence and to keep it hidden from the people of Earth, the key can only be made through a sacrifice. A price that can only be paid by the guardians themselves. But before the key has to be made, and before the portal had to be sealed, Lepros had to be trapped inside at first.

Fortunately, the guardians showed no fear on the consequences they had to face. They remained loyal, brave, and had vowed to offer their lives for Lepros' defeat. And so, in the final clash, the guardians joined forces and bonded their powers. After what seemed to be an endless battle, they victoriously thrived in capturing Lepros into his prison world. Then, it was time for the ultimate sacrifice.

The guardians grouped together in a circle, making their last bow to their master and beloved creator, Obexus. In turn, Obexus stared deeply into the eyes of each guardian, and he found that there was light in each. A light of hope. And a light of a better tomorrow. He glanced unto them like they were his own sons and daughters. Filled with faith and trust to their only father, himself.

Slowly, they began to fade. As the strong wind blew towards them, they scattered into pieces, leaving nothing but the so called key that was known as the "Elemental Crystal". It was thrown away, destroyed. Never to be seen again.

The humans, however, had written history about its existence. And so it can be heard throughout generations and generations. But no one had ever known about Lepros' prison world. But in the midst of it all, everything and every living creature were now in sync. Slowly, the Earth continued to grow... and all was in peace.