Going Deeper Into #MSWL

I've found myself bouncing in and out of the Manuscript Wish List these past few months. I mentioned it briefly in the section on Twitter pitches, but I thought it was worth revisiting.

There's a manuscriptwishlist.com site. I'm talking about the mswishlist.com site. The place where you see the live tweets of agents and editors asking for the kind of story they want. You can sort the list by genre.

And then... The fun begins.

I've been looking through this list to get story ideas. This is a chance to hear from the industry professionals about what they think is up and coming and what they've seen too much of. And many times, they have the inspiration I need. The feed is updated regularly, so check back monthly or so.

But then, it gets better.

You can also read through Twitter feeds of publishing tips and query tips, straight from the horse's mouth. (Yes, cliche, but it fits so well here!) Agents and editors fess up here about all of their pet peeves. You can quickly see what to do and not do.

Like.... Make sure you spell the publisher's name correctly.

Query one agent per agency. They are human, after all. Coworkers talk. They'll figure it out.

If you write fantasy, try to describe your book without using terms that no one understands! I'm guilty of this. No one knows what an Alicorn is. (Unless you watch My Little Pony, but even then you don't know my version...) No one knows what a snix is. Or where Agalrae is. You might have to use broader terms that people who know NOTHING about your story can understand.

And other common sense things, like don't critique the agent you're querying... Ouch.

Describe your main character in the first line of the query.  Don't lead with your bio. Unless you're already famous. In which case, you don't need them, do you?

Don't query when your book is done. Query when it's READY. There's a big difference.

Anyway, I rest my case. This is also kept current with new snippets of advice daily. It's better than anything I could give you, though I will try. Who knows, maybe I will be your agent some day! Or an editor at Random House. (Dream jobs...)

Finally, as a closing thought, if you're using #MSWL, make a visit to Preditors and Editors before you solidify your decision to work with an agent or editor. That's a great place to dig up dirt on publishing houses. Stay safe and be smart. This is your book baby. Don't take the first contract that's handed to you.

Watch out for things like signing away your rights for three years or more. ONE year is ideal.

Watch out for a publisher taking all your print rights, like ebook, audiobook, and print book, when they only plan to publish an ebook. No no.

Watch out for publishers printing your book through Createspace and then paying you 10%. You could do that yourself for free and get 70%! Total spam, and B&N won't carry your book in stores because Createspace books are non-returnable.

Okay, I think that's enough for now, folks... How's it going out there? Any exciting news? Writing a new book? I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers!
Sydney