Chapter 17 The Shelter (part one)

🎤✨||Friday, July 22nd||✨🎤

It was now late July, and Marshall and I were still doing great. We were still always together, and were hardly ever seen without the other one. I never thought I could become so close with someone so easily. It was like we were made for each other, judging on how much time we spent together. Nearly every morning, one of us would go over to the others house, and then hang of for the rest of the day.

To me, it almost seemed as if I was happier and always in a better mood when I was with Marshall. I'm not saying I was always cranky before I met him, but something about being with him made me more relaxed and all around cheerful. Even when we weren't hanging out, most of the time I'd be thinking about him and wondering what he was doing. It was safe to say I couldn't get enough of him.

Almost every night before I went to sleep, he'd call or text me and say 'goodnight baby' like it was mandatory. As simple as the gesture was, I loved when he did that.

I eventually told my mom about us, and she took it... okay, I guess. She wasn't the happiest person in the world, but she didn't make the biggest deal out of it. She was mostly upset because she looked at Marshall like he was a classic heartbreaker that had no good intentions. I had no idea where she got the idea from until she told me she saw Kim on Marshall's porch a few weeks before we began dating, begging Debbie to let her in and talk to Marshall. I had to explain to her for twenty minutes straight that he wasn't like that, but she still wasn't fully convinced.

Every time Marshall came over to hang out after I told my mom the news, she would give him the cold shoulder and avoid him like he was infected with Ebola. I felt bad and was frankly embarrassed at how she would act, so most of the time, we'd go over to his place.

As I knocked on his door, I heard the music that was blasting from inside turn off. A few seconds later, Marshall opened the door, shirtless and wiping his hands off with a towel. Before anything, he rolled his eyes and stepped aside to let me in. "Why do you even knock still?" he asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"Well I gotta finish up the dishes," he said. "Then we can do whatever."

"Okay," I said as I followed him to the kitchen. I lifted myself on the counter next to the sink and sat there, watching him do the dishes.

I reached over and clicked play on the radio, immediately a loud beat played, being able to hear the ought the whole house. Quickly, I turned it down so my ear drums wouldn't die due to the volume.

"Hey, you didn't even give me a kiss hello," I pointed out.

"Oh yeah," he mumbled to himself, like he knew he was forgetting something in the first place. He licked his lips quickly and leaned up to my lips for a long kiss.

I placed my left hand to the back of his neck to keep him there for a little while longer. When he did pull away, we both simultaneously pursed our lips together. "So, where's Nate and your mom?" I asked.

"It's Friday," he said in regards to his mom. "She's at bingo, and Nate is with Betty."

I nodded. "When's the battle?"

I convinced Marshall to battle at the shelter. He kept making excuses every time I brought it up, but I would shoot each one down. Even though it took a lot, he finally got Proof to sign him up.

"Eight," he answered, and his tone didn't sound like he was very excited.

"Don't be so glum," I said and shoved his shoulder.

"I'm telling you now, Amber. I won't win," he stated as he scrubbed some macaroni from a bowl.

"With that attitude you won't," I told him. "Just be confident, you'll be fine."