V⎮Invitation To Dinner

The extent of Emma's adventures, at the close of the sennight following her strange interaction with Winterly, subsisted of letter writing, walking, and sitting at the pianoforte of a morning. All very thrilling occupations that were highly esteemed by the elder Miss Lucas; but not by her sister. Although they had lately enjoyed a night at the theater, most of their evenings had been "dreadfully dull" or so Milli repined after breakfast, as both girls withdrew to the parlor.

"Now what are you doing?" Milli glared at her sister as Emma seated herself by the window that fronted Milk street.

"I thought I might sketch the prospect," she replied with a roll of her eyes. Lord, but her sister was tetchy when she was bored.

"I have a better idea!"

"And I have no doubt you wish to share it," Emma muttered, sharpening her pen.

Ignoring the irony that laced her sisters tone, Milli jumped from the settle and clapped her hands together excitedly. "Had we not better go outside and enjoy the street as two amongst it's animated populace instead of admiring it from afar like dour spinsters."

"I am a spinster, my dear."

"Nonsense! Now that you no longer insist on wearing those dreadful spectacles-"

Emma cut her diatribe off before she waxed reproachful again — it was after all a subject on which she was most voluble and contumelious. "We walked before breakfast, Milli. Do you really wish to walk again?"

With a vigorous nod, her sister readily imported that she did, and so, with a hearty sigh, Emma put her sketch book and drawing appurtenances away. Once she had put on her green spencer jacket and straw capote bonnet, they were off to stroll along Cheapside.

She was perfectly sensible that her sister had by now spent nearly all the allowance that their father had bestowed on his youngest, but it did not signify to Emma. The sooner Milli spent her remaining guineas the sooner she would find a less expensive pastime.

However, Emma could very well understand the need to tour London and exhaust every hour along the cobbled lanes; for once they were back in the country, their pursuits would be rather less varied. It was why she had not demurred when her sister had suggested the excursion. Carpe Diem. If today were her last she would indeed regret having spent it indoors.

"Oh!" Milli cried, instantly drawing her sister's attention. "This is the dress shop that Victoria mentioned." With that she hurried inside Madam Claudette's while Emma followed at a more leisurely pace.

How the girl managed to harbor such a surplus of enthusiasm for all things fashion Emma could not begin to understand, but love it Milli did. They had already stopped at two haberdasheries since leaving their uncle's doorstones before Milli had recognized the name of the modiste they were now to patronize.

The dress shop was rather empty this time of a morning. It boasted rows and rows of shelves and draws that populated the space behind the counters and even reached as far as the ceiling where an assistant would no doubt require the aid of a ladder to reach them.

"Emma!" At her sister's summons, she wandered over to where Milli was pouring over a fashion sketch. "I think it would suit you beautifully!" she said, avidly pointing to the drawing that had caught her attention.

The evening dress was a sheer Indian muslin with white net overlay, lovely silver embroidery and ivory beads at the bodice. The skirt itself was mostly unadorned apart from the fine, hand-made gauze. Although a rather simple design despite the trimmings, it was exactly the style of understated elegance that appealed to Emma; and Milli knew it too. She was a couturier at heart with a keen eye for all things á la mode, bless her.