42. The Good, The Bad & The Devil

Rhea's POV

"The story begins-" Seth started.

"Can we walk and talk because I need to do something," Hadrian interrupted, shaking a bottle if what looked like blood. Seth's eyes widened when be caught sight of it.

"Is that-"

"Yep."

"And you're-"

"Yep"

I stared at both of them trying to figure out the silent conversation they were having with their eyes. Suddenly, Seth's face turned pained then he nodded in my direction.

"And her?"

Hadrian glanced at me with an unreadable emotion and shook his head. "She'll be fine. Now let's go," he said saying the last part with fake enthusiasm.

"What's going on?" I asked, not moving. There was no way I would let them talk about me without telling me.

"Nothing," Hadrian said dismissively. He began walking away from us, a sign we should follow. I folded my arms with annoyance but followed anyway. Seth's face changed from sorrowful to playful in a second, backing my theory that he was bipolar.

"I'm going to tell you the tale of how our little Hade came to be. Once there was an angel of life who we call our mom. She married our dad who was the angel of souls. After a while, they forgot to use a condom and I came into the world, the angel of fear," Seth explained.

The forest was getting darker as we went inside and Hadrian summoned a touch, providing some light. I rubbed my arms as it became cold.

"Our family was considered royal because we're the angels of unique things, things that could be good or bad. So dad was the King of Light because his domain was on the ground. Later on in life, Hade and Raven entered the world. Raven, the angel of illusions and insanity and Hadrian, the angel of foresight. A bit like Pia but at a larger and more dangerous scale. Wait, let me help you." Seth lifted me over the large gap in the earth which we had to jump across.

"Anyway, Hade lost his wings the only thing that ensured he would never die-"

"She knows," Hadrian interrupted obviously not wanting to go over it.

Seth nodded then continued. "However, he had been exposed to the Underworld and it needed someone to rule over it so Hadrian will become the King of it when he's 20. But my brother's role in the world had to change and now he is..."

"The angel of death," Hadrian finished. I opened my mouth but nothing came out. "That's why I can't make things grow or deal with life. And I can recite everyone who has died this very second or who will die."

Looking at his face, I knew that this was not a blessing to him but a burden. Then I finally took notice of where we were.

Hadrian's torch had disappeared at some point and the night was lit up by the flames eating up the trees. I peered past Seth to see a giant hole in the middle of a clearing where demons were climbing out of. It looked like a nightmare in real life as they hissed and screamed, running through the forest. Hadrian pushed us behind a tree trunk so we were not visible. He let out a sigh then looked at me.

"Rhea, promise me that no matter what you'll stay with Seth. No matter what."

"I promise," I said feeling like I had given into something I'll regret. Seth pulled out rope from his pocket and tied it around my wrists then to a tree branch above my head. "Why are you trapping me here?"

"Because you must stay here and I can't risk it," Hadrian stated. His brother then pulled a knife from the same pocket and Hadrian gave him his arm. I thought that Seth was going to hurt him but he simply cut off the electronic tag. For a second, Hadrian's eyes rolled back as if he had passed out but he blinked a few times showing he was okay.

"Seth..." Hadrian stared at his older brother and shook his hand. "Bye."

Seth looked like he was going to cry as he hugged Hadrian. I had the strange feeling that this was a goodbye rather than just sorting out a problem. I couldn't move as I was restrained but the bad boy came towards me. He leaned in and I could feel the familiar heat radiating off his body. Gently, he pressed his lips to the corner of my mouth, leaving the place tingling.

"Enjoy life, princess," he whispered against my skin.

I didn't understand what he meant so I gave him a small smile which he returned before walking straight towards the crater of demons. Seth was silent but the tears rolling down his checks showed his distress. As Hadrian came closer to the centre, the creatures began clawing at his body, shredding the remainder of the suit he wore. The hissing became louder as more tried to stop him from reaching their source but he managed to get close enough to throw the bottle inside.

The demons froze as if time had stopped. Suddenly, they started moving back towards the hole screeching. The sight was scary as they clambered over each other in order to get back. I saw Hadrian getting up while the creatures ran around him. He finally grinned as it was over but Seth's face crumpled even more.

"Seth, why aren't you happy?" I asked confused.

"Because that's not the end," he chocked out.

Then I saw it. I tried to scream out to warn him but it was in vain. Noah grabbed Hadrian around his neck, cutting off his airways. Hadrian struggled to remove his cousin's hold but by the fear in his eyes, he knew there was no way he could get free.

"Help him!" I screamed at Seth but he shook his head.

"I can't," he said. "I can't f*cking help him. I'm not allowed."

I wanted to argue but I noticed the sword in Noah's hand. He pulled it back then pushed it through Hadrian's back until it came out from the other side where his heart would be. Hadrian's eyes widened as Noah pulled it out.

The mortal immortal.

Wings the only thing that ensured he would never die.

Hadrian crumpled to the ground. Dead. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. Noah stood above him triumphant until he clutched his chest in pain. He coughed a few times before dropping to the floor beside his cousin following the same fate.

Then for the first time, the was silence.

Pure silence.

#

THE END