Chapter 11: Malia

It was all good for Stiles. He was part of a Pack and he had almost complete control over his powers. And now he had Ide. It had been eighteen months since he had arrived in Greenwood, he had finished his first year at college and Malia had graduated, she was moving to Greenwood and starting at the college.

***

  It was only weeks before Malia's arrival that Stiles had gotten his first tattoo, in the style of the true Sparks. It was a rune from the ancient looking book, it was a rune for water and he got it on the left side of his chest. Water was one of the elements that he controlled but it was his weaker one, the rune amplified the ways that he could manipulate water. The next week he got the rune for fire on the right side of his chest.

  By the eighteenth month he could summon water from the air and earth with ease, often using it to heal himself even the littlest cuts and scrapes. He could do it without thinking by that point. But with even more ease he could pull the fire from his very veins, for fire was his true element. Fire was the element that he was made of and he often called the green flames to his fingertips just to watch them dance in the middle of the night.

  Ide slept beside him always, he was never alone in the night. Of course the big wolf couldn't come to college with him but she was always welcome at the Borden home. The Pack would always give her tip bits and would tumble and play with her. Even when she was playing she looked magnificent with her smokey coat and whiskey eyes. She had a wisdom about her as well and Stiles felt that he had known her all of his life and, in  a way, he had.

  The best bit about Ide though was the preternatural link that they shared. Whenever Stiles partook in complex magic she would become a green ghost, her magic swirling around him to join with his own. There was also the mental connection, they may once have been one and the wolf may have Stiles' eyes but Ide had her own personality and they could talk through their physic connection. They would often have whole silent conversations in a room-full of unaware people, although Mitchell always seemed to know. The wolf didn't have human vocal cords and so couldn't speak to the world but Stiles often relayed what she said to him to whomever she wished.

  The very best times were in the forest where Ide had come into being. Stiles, Ide, Tommy and Sarah would often disappear into the trees. She would bound over the leaves, the sun breaking through the canopy above to dapple her fur. She would hunt and they would often go to a stream and splash about, just the four of them in their own world.

 She would hunt and they would often go to a stream and splash about, just the four of them in their own world

*** 

  He had spoken to Malia the night before, she was packed and on the next train to Greenwood. As he left his bedroom that morning his excitement was obvious so much so that as he entered the kitchen Tommy raised an eyebrow at him. He was nursing a cup of coffee, as he was every morning, and was reading a history text book for his college work.

"What are you reading that for? There is no college for weeks," Stiles commented as Ide trotted into the room.

"Because, my friend, college may be out for now but not forever. I am doing work now so I don't have to do it later. Now, tell me, what are you so excited about?"

"A friend is coming to Greenwood today. She's going to be attending the college and all," Stiles told him, trying to hide the true extent of his excitement.

"Oh, a she is it," Tommy teased.

"Yes, she's a coyote but we were planning for her to stay here, just for a while," Stiles said pushing bread into the toaster.

"Okay, so name? Where did you meet?" Tommy said as he carefully marked his page and put down his book.

"Her name is Malia and we met when my previous Pack and I helped her. She had been trapped in coyote form for eight years. Although we only spoke after we were both patients in a mental hospital," Stiles clenched his jaw as he realised what he had said but Tommy just nodded.

"Don't look like that, it isn't that unusual for a supernatural creature to go to an asylum," Stiles' friend snorted. Stiles was very grateful.

***

  It was raining. Stiles had left the warmth and shelter of his jeep, although Ide stayed. He left it because he was restless, the train would arrive soon and with it would be Malia. Now that the moment was there he couldn't seem to wait, not for a moment. He couldn't wait to see her smile, to hold her and feel her warmth, to run his hands through her hair.

  He knew that it was irrational, they had been together once in the basement of Eichen House, he had kissed her a few times. He hadn't seen her in eighteen months but in that time they had spoken and got to know each other well. He had spoken to her every night for a year and a half while his conversations with his father had dwindled. At first it had been twice a week, on the sheriff's insistence, but then it was once a week and then a fortnight, soon a month and by that time they hadn't spoken for three and a half months.

  It seemed an age before the train arrived with Stiles pacing back and forth in the rain. It drenched him, chilling him to the bone with little rivulets running down his face. He didn't notice it, but then the cold no longer effected him with the fire in his veins. 

  He watched as the passengers left the carriages, bouncing on the balls of his feet. Finally she stepped down onto the platform. The rain immediately fell upon her, Malia in a checkered shirt sporting a stylish bob. Stiles stopped still for the first time in hours and a smile split his face.

  Her blue eyes met his brown ones and she sped over to him, practically running, dragging her suitcase behind her. When she was close she seemed to forget about the suitcase altogether as she flung her arms around him. Her lips met his and for a brief moment Stiles flashed back to that night at Eichen House. It seemed a lifetime ago but every detail was fresh and clear.

  When she pulled back she was laughing, it was so infectious that Stiles couldn't help but join her. In that way they stood there, as people filtered out of the station and rain soaked through their layers. But they were lost in each other and non of their surrounding's registered.

  Eventually though, Stiles began to feel the water seeping through every fiber of his clothing and he pulled away. 

"Lets get back shall we?" He asked and she nodded.

  Stiles took the coyote's hand and led her to where Ide and the jeep waited. Stiles opened the passenger door and the great wolf inside sleepily raised her head. The Spark glanced back at his companion to see her transfixed. Admiration and curiosity shone in Malia's blue eyes and Stiles had to turn away to hide his smile.

"Malia, this is Ide," he introduced.