Chapter 19: Gone

Malia took in the sight of the Nemeton with pure, un-disputable awe. The thing emanated power, she could feel it thrumming through her body. On top of that, it was the biggest, most ancient tree the coyote had ever set her eyes on- and that was saying something as she had spent a large part of her life living in a forest.

  She, along with everyone else seemed to be in a daze. That is until Stiles stepped forward. He had been standing slightly closer to the great tree than anyone else as he had led them into the clearing. Ide was pressed close to his side as he took steady steps forward. Everyone in the clearing was focused on him, Malia taking a small step forward herself as her boyfriend moved further away.

  When he reached the tree he reached his fingers out to brush through the leaves. There was almost a collective gasp as it appeared that the whole tree trembled, a smooth rustle as every leaf twitched as if kissed by a nonexistent breeze. Then she looked back at the young man and the wolf only to suck in a shocked breath once more. Where Stiles had touched the tree his fingers and then his hand, his arm and then his torso, became green and translucent as if he wasn't truly there like a ghost. Malia's nervous gaze flicked to Ide, the familiar in a similar state to her Spark, and then at the two of them as sparks of magic danced and lept around them like jumping jacks. 

  The coyote looked around at everyone else, the gaping mouths and wide eyes. They seemed as dumb struck as she was- even Mitchell.

  "Stiles!" she called but he didn't seem to hear her, either that or he was ignoring her.

  The two reached the trunk then, Stiles' hand hovering centimeters away from the bark before a small whine was heard and he placed his splayed fingers on the tree. There was a deep rumble within the earth, the Nemeton at it's epicenter. Then there was a breeze, an actual breeze, that drifted through the clearing. It played with Malia's hair, dropping some into her face as she watched Stiles in horror. 

  Ide went first the breeze blew her apart into thousands of sparks of magic drifting on the breeze. Then Stiles followed suit, the magic that had been the Spark and familiar swirling and mixing midair until the wind, and the sparks along with it, were whipped down into the ground around the Nemeton as if sucked in by the tree's giant roots.