Chapter 15: Stiles

"Stiles?" Lydia breathed. They were all staring at him and he suddenly felt that coming back was a really, really bad idea. 

  Because everyone in the McCall Pack was staring the Borden Pack started staring even though they knew that Stiles had a history with the supernatural side of Beacon Hills.

  "I think that we can wait by the cars, looks like you can do with a bit of alone time," John said gesturing between the McCalls and Stiles.

  He didn't wait for a reply, simply turned and left the room again, giving Stiles' shoulder a brief squeeze as he passed. Non of the other Pack members questioned their alpha, all filling out silently. Tommy and Sara left last, Tommy looking between Scott and Stiles nervously before Sara pulled him out and pulled the door shut again leaving Stiles, Malia and Ide alone with the Beacon Hills Pack.

  "You've been in Greenwood this whole time?" Scott asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

  "Yeah," Stiles replied lamely.

  Ide was obviously feeling the discomfort in her Spark acutely, returning to Stiles' side from where she had been standing a few feet away. She lay down on his feet, crossing her paws and looking up curiously at the true alpha. The movement, and obvious affection for Stiles drew questioning gazes, Stiles glancing down at the familiar but offered no explanation.

  The silence stretched on for a long time, the tension building in Stiles' chest fit to burst, making Ide whine. Malia, who had long ago picked up on the signs of the wolf's bond to Stiles, placed a comforting hand on the small of his back.

  Eventually it was the Sheriff that moved. He got up from where he was sat and made his way over to his son until he stood a couple of feet away, looking down nervously at Ide. The she-wolf looked back up at him and slowly raised herself from the floor, never breaking eye contact. She made her way over to where the Sheriff stood stiffly and sniffed at his hand.

  "She won't hurt you dad," Stiles said quietly.

  "Why does it have your eyes Stiles?" John Stilinski asked shakily, the question catching Deaton's attention immediately. 

  "The wolf is your familiar, is it not?" the vet queried.

  Stiles, Malia and Ide all looked up at the McCall emissary simultaneously, nervous uncertainty clearly written on Stiles and Malia's faces. Stiles swallowed and silently nodded.

  "What's a familiar?" Kira asked.

  "A creature of magic, part of the soul of one with very powerful magic. Only warlocks and other even rarer magic holders have them," Deaton told the room.

  "Like Sparks," Stiles suggested.

  "You're a Spark?" Deaton asked and it was probably the first time ever that Stiles had seen his calm mask slip.

  "I am going to have to ask what the hell a Spark is," Isaac said from the back of the room.

  "They are elementals. Can harness elemental powers and are incredibly rare," Peter told them leaning on the railing of the stairs and gaining a few curious glances at the bit of information.

  "Is it why you left?" Lydia asked.

  "Partly," Stiles admitted, glancing at his dad rather than the banshee.

  The Sheriff glanced down at Ide, who was sitting calmly near his feet, and then back at his son. Before Stiles could register what was happening he was being wrapped in a bear hug, one that was so familiar and that he hadn't had in such a long while. He automatically hugged his dad back, wrapping his arms around him and giving a sight squeeze before the older man whispered in his ear," you could have told me, we could have worked something out," before pulling away.

  It was as if that hug had initiated a whole hug fest. Scott came forward next and gave him a strong werewolf hug, then Lydia and even Kira. Chris clapped him on the back and Peter gave him a predatory smile while Derek's lips quirked upwards slightly in what could be passed as a Sour wolf smile. Isaac didn't make a move at all, his scowl firmly in place and Stiles couldn't help but remember the last time he had seen the beta. Lastly there was a younger guy that came up and nervously shook his hand.

  "Hey, I'm Liam," he said looking shyly at Scott.

  "He's one of my betas," Scott said.

  "I've got to ask you Sheriff, did you know about your son's powers, because you knew where he was," Chris said, turning to Stiles' father.

  "No he didn't," Stiles answered for him," we... haven't spoken in a while."

  "Why?" Kira asked.

  "Just life getting in the way. It has been a busy three years," Stiles told them.

  "Have you got a job son?" Stilinski asked.

  "Deputy at the police station and emissary for the Pack," Stiles said, rushing the the last part a bit.

  "Your the Inked Emissary? Well it figures with you being a Spark and all," Peter smirked.

  "I really, really didn't take you for liking needles Stiles," Lydia commented. 

  "Yeah well, the tattoos help with my powers," the Spark to them.

  "What kind of Spark are you Stiles, or do you know?" Deaton asked softly.

  "Adversus." 

  Peter whistled in appreciation, causing yet more confused looks to be thrown around the room. Stiles didn't mind though, this was so much less awkward than he predicted.

  "Earth and air or fire and water?" Peter pressed.

  "Fire and water."

  "I'm sorry but what's an Adverwhatsit Spark?" Scott asked.

  "There are three types of Spark that control different elements. Elemetum sparks control a single element, they are the most common Sparks, baring in mind that Sparks themselves are nearly non existent. Quam are next on the rarity chart, controlling two elements and finally Adversus. These control opposing elements which is much more of a harder task, creating much more raw energy and making them so much stronger than other Sparks," Deaton explained calmly.

  "The rarest of the rare," Peter said, hopping down off of the stairs and walking over to stand in front on Stiles. He stared straight at him and Stiles stared back , refusing to to break eye contact.

  "This is going to be fun," the blue-eyed beta grinned.