Fixation

PROMPT #3: Provide Maine and Alden's stream of consciousness during the worst nightmare they've ever had. --- This is not a "nice" story. It may be disturbing to some. Please skip this if you're sensitive.

**********

He's been acting so strange for the past hour or so. Too showy, too clingy. Well, RJ naman has always been a touchy kind of guy, everyone knows that. Pero...iba lang ngayon eh. Something about him seems off.

Kanina lang we were having such a great time. Everyone we like most is here. JoWaPao is here, and they've been telling jokes and making everyone laugh nonstop.

Then a group of girls walked in and suddenly RJ's mood seemed to change. I studied their faces. They're from one of RJ's longtime fan clubs. I recognized them from Broadway, and all our mall shows and shootings. They are present at every single event. As far as I know, RJ has always liked this group, because even though they're RJ-biased, their members have always been very friendly to me, even tweeting to support me whenever I have a new project or endorsement. RJ doesn't like it when his fan clubs ignore me or outright seem to dislike me. I've told him repeatedly that I don't mind, but you know RJ—sobrang protective. But this group is a nice one nga, kaya hindi ko gets kung bakit biglang sumimangot si RJ nung dumating sila.

They are walking towards us now. Their "leader," Blanche, gives RJ a big hug and me a warm smile as she compliments my OOTN. "Ang ganda ganda mo talaga, Meng," she squeals. She is a sweetheart, and RJ seems to relax a bit. Suddenly, a tall girl in the back pipes up. "Hi, RJ," she says, her voice coming out like a strange bark. RJ looks down at the table. "Hello, Verena," he replies softly.

I turn to get a better look at thisgirl. She has a body like a model. Tall—at least 5'7"—a little on the skinnyside, long arms and legs. Her hair is jet black and stick straight, and hangsdown to the middle of her rib cage. She has a sharp, shrewish face, withstriking dark eyes and thick eyebrows. Pretty—but intimidating. Something abouther makes me feel uneasy, and it's clear that RJ is uncomfortable, too.

I have a nagging feeling that something is wrong.

A few minutes later, I go to the bathroom, and when I come back, RJ is standing near the bar, talking quietly to Verena. He looks stressed out, and seems startled when he looks up and sees me watching them. He smiles at me, pero sobrang pilit yung ngiti niya.

The nagging feeling starts to grow. I've seen enough movies—been in showbiz long enough—to recognize this scenario. Did he—? With her—? He wouldn't. Not RJ. He is not that kind of guy. Or is he—? I am no longer enjoying this party at all. I want to go home.

When he comes back to our table, I tell RJ I'm not feeling well. He actually seems relieved. He tells Dean to go get Pat—who is staying over tonight—so he can drive us to the condo.

We barely speak on the way home—he only breaks the silence two or three times to ask if I'm alright. I tell him I'm fine, just tired from the busy week I've had. He insists on stopping by at Mercury Drug to pick up some Advil for me, even though I tell him we still have Biogesic at the condo.

We ride up the elevator in silence. Dean is sleepy, and Patrick is buzzed—or maybe they can both feel the tension in the air. When the elevator doors open at my floor, my heart leaps out of my chest. Verena is standing there in the hallway, just outside my door. How does she even know where I live? My exact address has always been kept private—my parents saw to that.

RJ's face has almost completely lost all color. "Anong ginagawa mo dito, V?"

V? My god, are they that intimate, na may nickname pa si RJ para sa kanya?

Verena's intense stare could bore a hole through metal. "Hindi ka na nagrereply sa texts ko. Hindi mo na rin sinasagot yung mga tawag ko. Why are you avoiding me, RJ?"

I start to feel sick for real. RJ is agitated, running his hand through his hair and messing it up. "Verena, we talked about this. I asked you—nicely—to stop. Salamat—sobrang salamat—sa suporta, I appreciate you as a fan, pero medyo you're crossing the line na eh."

"RJ, I'm pregnant."

I put a hand to my mouth. Behind me, I can hear Patrick tapping on his phone, and I know he's calling either Tristan or Ate Pat.

"What?!" RJ is shocked. He frantically looks from her to me then back again. "Susmaryosep V, anong pinagsasabi mo?? Wag kang maniwala Menggay, it's not true. I would never, NEVER—Verena, tell her the truth!! Jusko, anong nangyayari sayo??"

Verena fixes her steely eyes on me. If looks could kill. "It happened two months ago, nung nasa Singapore ka for your concert. He made love to me in Laguna—all weekend—over and over—"

Wait—when I was in Singapore? But—

RJ smiles in relief. "Oh, V. See what happens when you lie? Nabuking ka na agad. Imposible yang sinasabi mo because I was in Singapore with Meng the whole time. No one knew, not even sila Blanche."

He gives me a triumphant look, then turns back to Verena, who seems frozen to the spot, a stricken expression on her face. Suddenly, her features crumple, and she wails in a voice like a child, "Gusto ko lang naman na mahalin mo ko, the way I love you."

None of us see it coming, it happens so quickly. I see the blade of the knife gleam briefly, just before she brings it to her wrist, and then—blood. So much blood. Blood everywhere.

I wake up with a jolt and promptly throw up on the floor next to my bed.